Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Ricky Gervais. Check it out!
Ricky Dene Gervais was born in a suburb of Reading, Berkshire, to Eva Sophia (House) and Lawrence Raymond Gervais, who was a hod carrier and labourer. His father was born in Ontario, Canada, of French-Canadian descent, and his mother was English. He was educated at Ashmead Comprehensive School and went on to study at University College, London, where he gained a degree in Philosophy.
Interesting Facts about Ricky Gervais
- Very good friends with American comedian and TV presenter Jon Stewart and British comedian and TV presenter Jonathan Ross.
- Worked as a DJ on London’s XFM radio station and managed bands before going into TV comedy.
- In 2004 Gervais released a children’s book called “Flanimals.” The sequel, “More Flanimals,” was released in 2005.
- Ranked #83 on the 2008 Telegraph’s “100 most powerful people in British culture” list.
- Is the youngest of four siblings by 11, 13 and 14 years.
- Favorite all-time comedian is Woody Allen.
- Cites Mike Leigh as a big influence.
- Animal rights group PETA Europe have decided to name a bullock (a cow) they rescued in India, in honor of his love of all creatures [June 24, 2009].
- (May 10, 2010) Merited a place in Time magazine’s – The 100 Most Influential People in the World (“Artists” category) – with an homage contributed by Karl Pilkington.
- Won the 2003 O.K. Comedy Award.
- His favorite film is This Is Spinal Tap (1984).
- Friends with George Michael.
Personal Quotes by Ricky Gervais
I think I’m pretty self-aware.- Ricky Gervais
Cynicism, to me, is trying to make people as unhappy as you are.- Ricky Gervais
There’s no difference between fame and infamy now. There’s a new school of professional famous people that don’t do anything. They don’t create anything.- Ricky Gervais
With Netflix, I browse; I watch documentaries about things I’d never dream of, but I think, ‘I might as well.’- Ricky Gervais
My career, I look at it in a Darwinian framework. I’m going to do exactly what I want, and I’m going to survive, or I’m not. I’m not going to pander. I’m not going to change things. I’m not going to do focus groups. I’ll live and die by the sword. I don’t care. Because I couldn’t live with myself.- Ricky Gervais