Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Sam Rockwell. Check it out!
Sam Rockwell was born on November 5, 1968, in San Mateo, California, the only child of two actors, Pete Rockwell and Penny Hess. The family moved to New York when he was two years old, living first in the Bronx and later in Manhattan. When Sam was five years old, his parents separated, at which point he and his father moved to San Francisco, where he subsequently grew up, while summers and other times were spent with his mother in New York.
Interesting Facts about Sam Rockwell
- Friends with (but not related to) director Alexandre Rockwell and has appeared in four of his films: In the Soup (1992), Louis & Frank (1998), Somebody to Love (1994) and 13 Moons (2002).
- Told Carson Daly in a talk-show appearance that he dropped out of G.I. Jane (1997) because he didn’t want to get cold filming the night time SCUBA scenes.
- His maternal grandmother, Betty J. (Moore) Davis (1917-2007), was a drama teacher. She had acted in plays, lived in The Gestalt Fool theatre commune in San Francisco, and was an adjunct lecturer of Speech Communication at LaGuardia Community.
- In a long-term relationship with Leslie Bibb since 2007.
- As of 2019, has been in 4 films that were Oscar nominated for Best Picture: The Green Mile (1999), Frost/Nixon (2008), Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017), Vice (2018), and Jojo Rabbit (2019).
- Nominated for the 2019 Golden Globe Award in the Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture category for his role as George W. Bush in Vice (2018), but lost to Mahershala Ali for Green Book (2018).
- Has based his portrayal in Galaxy Quest (1999) on Bill Paxton’s performance in James Cameron’s classic Aliens (1986). In particular, his hysterical fear of being killed, and his mental collapse upon seeing a motion detector that shows their enemy closing in on them.
- Has English, German, Irish, and distant Dutch, ancestry.
- To memorize lines, he says he dictates them into a tape recorder in a monotone, so he won’t get used to any inflection before he’s had a chance to consider which speech pattern would be appropriate for the character.
- Had a minor appearance in Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) but his role was removed from the final cut. The scene was the one of the “lover’s lane” of sorts, when the Terenzi brothers drive up in their ice cream truck.
- Close friends with actor Justin Long and Jonathan Togo.
- Worked as a bicycle delivery boy for a Mexican restaurant specializing in burritos.
Personal Quotes by Sam Rockwell
I grew up on films.- Sam Rockwell
Good acting is good acting, however you learn it. Some people who haven’t studied are amazing. Some people like Leonardo DiCaprio are naturally gifted – he’s learned technique by working with people early on.- Sam Rockwell
I’ve been in more than 20 movies. You just do the best you can and try to make a living.- Sam Rockwell
I took a break after ‘Confessions.’ I was real picky. And then I suddenly realized I hadn’t worked in a year. And I was sort of, like, not really happy. I think people are happier when they have structure, you know? You realize that as you get older. You have to have rituals and structure.- Sam Rockwell
Money is power and power gives you choice.- Sam Rockwell