Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Sean Connery. Check it out!
The tall, handsome and muscular Scottish actor Sean Connery is best known for being the original actor to portray the character of James Bond in the hugely successful movie franchise, starring in seven films between 1962 and 1983. Some believed that such a career-defining role might leave him unable to escape it, but he proved the doubters wrong, becoming one of the most notable film actors of his generation, with a host of great movies to his name. This arguably culminated in his greatest acclaim in 1988, when Connery won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role as an Irish cop in The Untouchables (1987), stealing the thunder from the movie’s principal star Kevin Costner. Connery has been polled as “The Greatest Living Scot” and “Scotland’s Greatest Living National Treasure”. In 1989, he was proclaimed “Sexiest Man Alive” by People magazine, and in 1999, at age 69, he was voted “Sexiest Man of the Century”.
Interesting Facts about Sean Connery
- He turned down the role of John Hammond in Jurassic Park (1993). Coincidentally, his Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) co-star, Harrison Ford, was offered the role of Dr. Alan Grant. Not to mention, it would’ve reunited both of them with director Steven Spielberg.
- He announced his retirement in an interview in New York City during the Tartan Week 2006 celebrations. “I have retired for good,” he said.
- He was offered the role of Robert Elliott by Brian De Palma in Dressed to Kill (1980) and was enthusiastic about it, but declined on account of previously acquired commitments.
- In 1998, he received a Tony Award for co-producing the play “Art” by Yasmina Reza.
- Actress Mia Sara is his ex-daughter-in-law.
- Marnie (1964) co-star Tippi Hedren named one of her house cats after him.
- In December 2002, he was voted “The Male Celebrity With The Sexiest Voice” in a survey carried out by a mobile phone company. Kylie Minogue topped the female category.
- Has appeared in only one Best Picture Oscar nominee: The Longest Day (1962), and has never appeared in any Best Picture winning film.
- Harry Saltzman and Albert R. Broccoli, the original producers of the James Bond films, cast him because they liked how he was a big, tough-looking man who nonetheless moved gracefully (“like a cat”).
- Although he played Dustin Hoffman’s father in Family Business (1989), he is only seven years his senior.
- He was the original voice of Tack the Cobbler, the hero of Richard Williams’s animated cult masterpiece The Thief and the Cobbler (1993). In the original version (from the work print and the resulting “Recobbled” fan-restoration), Tack was mute until the very end, when he spoke in Sean Connery’s voice.
- He started smoking when he was nine years old.
Personal Quotes by Sean Connery
There’s a lot of fantasy about what Scotland is, and the shortbread tins and that sort of thing.- Sean Connery
I met my wife through playing golf. She is French and couldn’t speak English and I couldn’t speak French, so there was little chance of us getting involved in any boring conversations – that’s why we got married really quickly.- Sean Connery
More than anything else, I’d like to be an old man with a good face, like Hitchcock or Picasso.- Sean Connery
I just think the most difficult thing to displace is privilege.- Sean Connery
Perhaps I’m not a good actor, but I would be even worse at doing anything else.- Sean Connery