Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Todd Phillips. Check it out!
Todd Phillips was born on December 20, 1970 in Brooklyn, New York City, New York, USA as Todd Bunzl. He is a producer and director, known for Joker (2019), Due Date (2010) and Old School (2003).
Interesting Facts about Todd Phillips
- Originally meant to direct Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006); however, he quit the production after shooting the infamous rodeo/”Star Spangled Banner” scene, due to creative differences with Sacha Baron Cohen.
- Has cast Matt Walsh in most of his movies.
- He is the first director to receive an Oscar nomination for directing a comic book film.
- Directed 1 actor to an Oscar win: Joaquin Phoenix, who won for Joker (2019).
- Attended NYU Film School but dropped out before graduation to promote his first documentary Hated: GG Allin & the Murder Junkies (1993).
- A co-creator of the New York Underground Film Festival (along with Andrew Gurland), Phillips was an expert at playing the media and causing sensation. He made a name for himself with Hated: GG Allin & the Murder Junkies (1993) and latched on to the controversy surrounding the documentary ChickenHawk (1994).
- His father Peter was born in Blaby, Leicestershire, England, to Jewish emigrant parents, Norbert E. Bunzl, who was born in Prague, and Anna (Fuchs), who was born in Zboriv, Ukraine.
- Attended NYU Tisch School of the Arts with Andrew Gurland.
- Born on the same date as Nicole de Boer.
- Frequently uses the music of Bill Withers and Wolfmother in his movies.
Personal Quotes by Todd Phillips
The worst thing you can do as a comedy director is be on set and think of something ridiculous, or an actor comes up to you with something ridiculous, and you say ‘No, no that’s too much.’ Let’s not worry if that’s too much, let’s shoot it, and then decide if that’s too much when we see it.– Todd Phillips
I remember that when I got to NYU, everyone was writing scripts. But I was 18 at the time, and when you write a script, so much of it is about what you pull from life, and this sounds sort of cheesy, but I felt like I didn’t have enough life experience at that point to write a movie.– Todd Phillips
It’s heartbreaking when you hear a kid buying a ticket for… I don’t know, whatever movie you’re up against. And you see them sneaking into your film. It’s just heartbreaking. But in the spirit of full disclosure, that is what I did as an 11-year-old sneaking into ‘Stripes.’– Todd Phillips
Bangkok, like Las Vegas, sounds like a place where you make bad decisions.– Todd Phillips
I just love the look of film. But I have nothing against HD.– Todd Phillips