Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Tom Hardy. Check it out!
With his breakthrough performance as Eames in Christopher Nolan’s sci-fi thriller Inception (2010), English actor Tom Hardy has been brought to the attention of mainstream audiences worldwide. However, the versatile actor has been steadily working on both stage and screen since his television debut in the miniseries Band of Brothers (2001). After being cast in the World War II drama, Hardy left his studies at the prestigious Drama Centre in London and was subsequently cast as Twombly in Ridley Scott’s Black Hawk Down (2001) and as the villain Shinzon in Star Trek: Nemesis (2002).
Interesting Facts about Tom Hardy
- Was cast as Rick Flag in Suicide Squad (2016), but dropped out due to scheduling conflicts with The Revenant (2015). Joel Kinnaman (his co-star in Child 44 (2015)) replaced him.
- Shares the same agent as Olivia Colman. They have worked together in Locke (2013) and London Road (2015).
- He assumed that Christopher Nolan cast him as Bane in The Dark Knight Rises (2012) because of his performance in Bronson (2008). He later found out that Nolan thought he would be a good fit based of his performance in RocknRolla (2008) and had not even seen “Bronson”.
- He was awarded the CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire) in the 2018 Queen’s Birthday Honours List for his services to Drama. He is an actor in Surrey, England.
- Was cast in Takashi Miike’s English-language debut, “The Outsider”, a film about Yakuza, but he dropped out. Miike dropped out of the project as well.
- In 2012, he played a role where he wore a mask for much of the film’s runtime (The Dark Knight Rises (2012)). In 2013, he played a role where he was inside a vehicle for much of the film’s runtime (Locke (2013)). In 2015, he combined the two…playing a role that, for much of the film’s runtime, had him both inside a vehicle and wearing a mask (Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)).
- His father Chips Hardy was the first firefighter in the family to attend a university.
- One of Variety magazine’s Top Ten Actors to watch (2009).
- The little finger on his right hand is permanently bent – he stabbed a knife into a chopping board and severed a tendon in his finger. This took three operations to be able to close his finger to make a fist, but it can not straighten.
- Enjoys watching reality TV shows to get ideas for characters. He said: “It’s great people-watching. I’ll steal characters from Come Dine with Me (2005). Because they’re real people. I take something from everybody. I’ll steal you at some point…”.
- Hardy and his The Dark Knight Rises (2012) co-star, Christian Bale, were both nominated for the Best Supporting Actor Oscar in 2016.
- His performance in Bronson (2008) and Matthias Schoenaerts’ performance in Bullhead (2011), were Steven Ogg’s inspirations to play Trevor Phillips in Grand Theft Auto V (2013). Steven Ogg revealed his inspirations at the New York Comic-Con in October 2013. Hardy and Schoenaerts starred together in The Drop (2014), a film directed by Michaël R. Roskam, the same director of “Bullhead”.
Personal Quotes by Tom Hardy
Being an only child, I didn’t have any other family but my mom and dad really, since the rest of my family lived quite far away from London.- Tom Hardy
I’m not a big guy anyway. I’m only, what, 150 pounds? I was 190 for ‘Batman,’ 179 for ‘Warrior.’ Films make you look big.- Tom Hardy
Maybe it’s a little ambitious of me to presume that no matter how big the film is, that I can always go down to the shop to buy a pint of milk.- Tom Hardy
I’m from a nice, suburban, middle-class family, but my tattoos remind me where I’ve been.- Tom Hardy
The characters I’ve played have been mostly violent, and I’m so far from being violent or aggressive. I spend a lot of time watching ‘Fireman Sam’ with my three-year-old son Louis.- Tom Hardy