Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Tom Hiddleston. Check it out!
Thomas William Hiddleston was born in Westminster, London, to English-born Diana Patricia (Servaes) and Scottish-born James Norman Hiddleston. His mother is a former stage manager, and his father, a scientist, was the managing director of a pharmaceutical company. He started off at the preparatory school, The Dragon School in Oxford, and by the time he was 13, he boarded at Eton College, at the same time that his parents were going through a divorce. He continued on to the University of Cambridge, where he earned a double first in Classics. He continued to study acting at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, from which he graduated in 2005.
Interesting Facts about Tom Hiddleston
- He generally runs five miles every morning, however, in preparation for I Saw the Light (2015), he ran ten miles each morning, and also cycled in order to gain a pencil-thin figure for his role as Hank Williams.
- Sang all his own vocals for his performance as Hank Williams in ‘I Saw the Light’. Most of the songs he previously recorded in studio and lip synced will filming but two of the songs he sang live on camera while filming.
- He read “The Politics of the Family and Other Essays” by R.D. Laing in preparation for his role in Crimson Peak (2015).
- Knows how to juggle.
- A cousin of Edmund Vestey and Samuel Vestey. Tom’s great-great grandfather and Edmund’s grandfather, Edmund Hoyle Vestey (1866-1953), was the co-founder of international food product giant Vestey Brothers (later renamed The Vestey Group) with his brother, William (Samuel’s grandfather). Edmund Hoyle Vestey and William Vestey were each created Baronets by King George V for their services in supplying food to British troops during the First World War.
- Won Best Actor Award at the 2016 National Film Awards UK for his role in High-Rise (2015).
- As well as younger sister, Emma, he also has an older sister named Sarah.
- Nominated for the Laurence Olivier Award for Best Actor, for playing the title role in Shakespeare’s “Coriolanus” at Domnar Warehouse (2014).
- Won the Laurence Olivier Award for Best Newcomer in a Play (2008), an esteemed honor that recognizes the best in London theatre.
- Was in the same class as both Prince William and Eddie Redmayne at the boarding school Eton College.
- His parents divorced when he was 13.
- His maternal great-grandfather, Reginald Maxwell Servaes, was a prominent Vice Admiral, a Flag Officer commanding the Reserve Fleet, and his maternal great-great-grandfather was importer Sir Edmund Vestey, 1st Baronet.
Personal Quotes by Tom Hiddleston
The dream is to keep surprising yourself, never mind the audience.- Tom Hiddleston
I did a production of ‘Journey’s End,’ an RC Sherriff play about World War I, at the Edinburgh Festival. I was 18 and it was the first time that people I knew and loved and respected came up to me after the show and said, ‘You know, you could really do this if you wanted to.’- Tom Hiddleston
With any role, you’re extending yourself and acting out things that never happened to you.- Tom Hiddleston
I’d love to see T’he Avengers’ with Robert Downey, Jr. playing Loki and Clark Gregg playing ‘Thor’ and I play Captain America.- Tom Hiddleston
Ancient societies had anthropomorphic gods: a huge pantheon expanding into centuries of dynastic drama; fathers and sons, martyred heroes, star-crossed lovers, the deaths of kings – stories that taught us of the danger of hubris and the primacy of humility.- Tom Hiddleston