Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Uma Thurman. Check it out!
Uma Karuna Thurman was born in Boston, Massachusetts, into a highly unorthodox and internationally-minded family. She is the daughter of Nena Thurman (née Birgitte Caroline von Schlebrügge), a fashion model and socialite who now runs a mountain retreat, and of Robert Thurman (Robert Alexander Farrar Thurman), a professor and academic who is one of the nation’s foremost Buddhist scholars. Uma’s mother was born in Mexico City, Mexico, to a German father and a Swedish mother (who herself was of Swedish, Danish, and German descent). Uma’s father, a New Yorker, has English, Scots-Irish, Scottish, and German ancestry. Uma grew up in Amherst, Massachusetts, where her father worked at Amherst College.
Interesting Facts about Uma Thurman
- In Polynesian, her name means “kiss”.
- Has three brothers with equally unusual, exotic names: Ganden Thurman, Dechen Thurman and Mipam Thurman.
- In Portuguese, her name means “one”.
- Some references cite Karen as Ms. Thurman’s middle name.
- Director Brian De Palma wanted her to play Maria in The Bonfire of the Vanities (1990); however Tom Hanks, who had casting approval, dismissed Thurman’s acting as “high school.” The role went to Melanie Griffith.
- Wears a size 11 shoe.
- Former model.
- Has shades of Lancome lipsticks named after her (available only in Asia).
- Dated director Phil Joanou, English publisher William Sieghart and small time actor David Wike.
- Played a role in Savages (2012) as Paqu (Blake Lively’s character mother) but all her scenes were deleted from the film.
- She is mentioned in the song “Avant Gardener” by Courtney Barnett.
- She and her first husband, Gary Oldman, have both appeared in separate Batman films. Uma appeared in Batman & Robin (1997) as Poison Ivy. Gary Oldman has appeared in Batman Begins (2005) & The Dark Knight (2008) as James Gordon.
Personal Quotes by Uma Thurman
My washing machine overwhelms me with its options and its sophistication.- Uma Thurman
We never left a set until we’d trashed it.- Uma Thurman
I’m lucky to have been raised in the most beautiful place – Amherst, Massachusetts, state of my heart. I’m more patriotic to Massachusetts than to almost any place.- Uma Thurman
But I think it is always difficult to have high expectations of yourself or anyone else.- Uma Thurman
Even, today, when people tell me I’m beautiful, I do not believe a word of it.- Uma Thurman