Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Viggo Mortensen. Check it out!
Since his screen debut as a young Amish farmer in Peter Weir’s Witness (1985), Viggo Mortensen’s career has been marked by a steady string of well-rounded performances.
Interesting Facts about Viggo Mortensen
- He received the scar on his upper lip after scratching his face on a barbed wire fence at a Halloween party.
- Admitted in an interview that when he first started out as an actor his agents encouraged him to change his name to “Vic Morten”, obviously he refused.
- A skilled horseman, he did all his own stunts in Hidalgo (2004), including a breakneck bareback ride that even the stuntman couldn’t handle.
- As Viggo lived in Argentina as a child, he is a fan of Argentine soccer team San Lorenzo (real name of the team: “San Lorenzo of Almagro”, from Buenos Aires City).Viggo usually wear clothes and accessories with this team’s colors (red & blue) the last time in public, at the Rome Festival, in the “Alatriste” Premiere.
- Although their divorce only became final in 1998, he and his former wife, Exene Cervenka, separated in late 1990/early 1991 after less than 3 years of marriage but remain close friends often working together and co-parenting their son.
- Speaks fluent English, Spanish, Danish, and French, but he also speaks yet not fluently Catalan, Swedish, Norwegian, Italian and Arabic.
- He’s made movies where he spoke in English, Danish, French, Spanish, Arabic, and Italian.
- Arrived in Toronto to promote Hidalgo (2004) on the 2nd. [February 2004]
- Filming Captain Alatriste: The Spanish Musketeer (2006) in Spain. [April 2005]
- He was among the actors considered for the role of Wolverine in X-Men (2000) before Hugh Jackman was cast.
- Presented a book by Perceval Press on Argentine poetry at the Cultural Center of Spain in Buenos Aires on August 11, 2009, and, together with the featured poets, autographed books afterwards. [August 2009]
- He has dual American and Danish citizenship.
Personal Quotes by Viggo Mortensen
It’s true that I have a wide range of interests. I like to write and paint and make music and go walking on my own and garden. In fact, gardening is probably what I enjoy doing more than anything else.- Viggo Mortensen
When we shot ‘The Lord of the Rings,’ we had special permission to film in wild areas of New Zealand that could be accessed only by helicopter. They would drop us off and we would work all day, and they’d pick us up and take us out again.- Viggo Mortensen
It’s hard not to get depressed when you pay attention to the world and how strangely and corrupt the people in it sometimes behave.- Viggo Mortensen
Nobody really knows anybody completely, even if they’ve been married to ’em for 53 years, you know?- Viggo Mortensen
Photography, painting or poetry – those are just extensions of me, how I perceive things; they are my way of communicating.- Viggo Mortensen