Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Al Pacino. Check it out!
Alfredo James “Al” ‘Pacino established himself as a film actor during one of cinema’s most vibrant decades, the 1970s, and has become an enduring and iconic figure in the world of American movies.
Interesting Facts about Al Pacino
- Turned down the role of Han Solo in Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope (1977), which went to Harrison Ford.
- Has worked with 9 directors who have won a ‘Best Director’ Academy Award: Francis Ford Coppola, Sydney Pollack, William Friedkin, Warren Beatty, Oliver Stone, Steven Soderbergh, Barry Levinson, Mike Nichols and Martin Scorsese.
- When asked by the AFI, he named The Tree of Wooden Clogs (1978) and Singin’ in the Rain (1952) as his favorite films.
- Lived with Jill Clayburgh (1967-1972).
- He was voted the 41st Greatest Movie Star of all time by Entertainment Weekly.
- After completing The Godfather (1972), Pacino was so broke he actually owed a studio $15,000 so he never saw a paycheck for his work on that film.
- Won critical acclaim for his role of a junkie in his film debut in ‘Needle Park’ which was an entry on the 1971 Cannes Film Festival.
- Worked in the mail room of Commentary magazine.
- In 2004, he became the 18th performer to win the Triple Crown of Acting. Oscar: Best Actor, Scent of a Woman (1992); Tony: Best Supporting Actor-Play “Does a Tiger Wear a Necktie?” (1969) and Best Actor-Play “The Basic Training of Pavlo Hummel” (1977); and Emmy: Best Actor-Miniseries/Movie, Angels in America (2003).
- During the making of The Recruit (2003), he met and became close friends with Colin Farrell. He went on to call Farrell the most talented actor of his generation.
- Pacino has been a recovering alcoholic since the start of his career.
- Stated in an interview that the movie he most wanted to be in but could not get the role was Slap Shot (1977). Director George Roy Hill opted not to go with Pacino because he could not ice skate.
Personal Quotes by Al Pacino
It’s easy to fool the eye but it’s hard to fool the heart.- Al Pacino
I’m so shy now I wear sunglasses everywhere I go.- Al Pacino
Did you know I started out as a stand-up comic? People don’t believe me when I tell them. That’s how I saw myself, in comedy.- Al Pacino
Shakespeare’s plays are more violent than ‘Scarface.’- Al Pacino
My grandmother always came to my shows. She was always concerned about the way I dressed – even later on, when I was well known and I supported her.- Al Pacino