Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Angela Lansbury. Check it out!
Angela Lansbury was born on October 16, 1925 in Regent’s Park, London, England as Angela Brigid Lansbury. She is an actress and producer, known for The Manchurian Candidate (1962), Anastasia (1997) and Bedknobs and Broomsticks (1971). She was previously married to Peter Shaw and Richard Cromwell.
Interesting Facts about Angela Lansbury
- She had performed with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in their annual public Christmas concerts at Temple Square in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- In 1951, Angela Lansbury became a naturalized United States citizen.
- On November 25, 1975, Lansbury’s mother, Moyna MacGill, died of cancer at age 79.
- Aunt of David Lansbury, who is married to Ally Sheedy.
- She was awarded the CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire) in the 1994 Queen’s Birthday Honours List for her services to drama. She was elevated to DBE (Dame Commander of Order of the British Empire) in the 2014 Queen’s New Year Honours List for services to drama and for charitable and philanthropic services. She was invested by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II in a ceremony at Windsor Castle on April 15, 2014.
- Her first great grandchild was born in 2017.
- Played Elvis Presley’s mother in Blue Hawaii (1961), despite his being only 10 years her junior.
- After a 40-year absence triumphantly returned to London’s West End stage in her Tony-winning role as Madam Arcati in Sir Noël Coward’s ‘Blithe Spirit’. She won her only Laurence Olivier Award for Best Supporting Actress in 2015 at the age of 89.
- July 21, 2000: She withdrew from a proposed Broadway musical, “The Visit”, due to her husband’s precarious health and impending heart surgery.
- Gave birth to her 2nd child at age 27, a daughter Deirdre Angela Shaw on April 26, 1953. Child’s father was her 2nd husband, Peter Shaw. Grandmother, via son Anthony Pullen Shaw, of Ian Lansbury.
- She was longtime friends with the late Bob Hope and gave a speech at his memorial service on August 27, 2003. She and Hope appeared on Bob Hope: The First 90 Years (1993), and she sang with him.
- Angela Lansbury recreated the role of Mrs. Pollifax in the 1999 television movie who was originally in the movie was played by Rosalind Russell. She also recreated Miss Russell’s title role in Auntie Mame (1958) in the original Broadway cast of the musical “Mame”.
Personal Quotes by Angela Lansbury
The Manchurian Candidate was the most important movie I was in, let’s face it.- Angela Lansbury
Believe me, it jabs you. When you’re on the side of buses and New York loves you, you love to go out there every night. It’s like a race. Curtain opens, out you go, and New York is yours.- Angela Lansbury
Mystery is something that appeals to most everybody.- Angela Lansbury
I’ve worked with the greatest actors, and they’re all gone. This is what’s so desperate to me.- Angela Lansbury
We all have levels of performance.- Angela Lansbury