Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Asa Butterfield. Check it out!
Asa Butterfield was born in Islington, London, England, to Jacqueline Farr and Sam Butterfield. He began acting at the age of 8, after a talent spotting casting director saw him at his local after school drama club, The Young Actors Theatre in Islington. Following on from a couple of small roles in films, he was cast, at 10 as Bruno in The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (2008). Since then, he has been acclaimed for his titular roles in Hugo (2011) and Ender’s Game (2013), as well as other major roles as Nathan in X+Y (2014), Jude in 10,000 Saints (2015), Jake in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (2016), Gardner Elliot in The Space Between Us (2017), Norman in Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang (2010), and Mordred in the BBC’s Merlin (2008).
Interesting Facts about Asa Butterfield
- He has an older brother called Morgan. Asa also has a younger maternal half-sister, Loxie, and a younger paternal half-sister, Marlie.
- His dream role would be to play James Bond.
- In Hebrew, “Asa” means “healer” or “physician”, also spelled “Ase”. The name “Asa” appears in the Old Testament to designate the third King of Judah.
- In his GCSEs he got 1 A*, 3 A’s and 6 B’s.
- “Asa” in Arabic means (the name of Jesus ).
- He was one of the final candidates for the third film incarnation of Peter Parker/Spider-Man, though Tom Holland was cast instead. On May 14, 2015, film journalist Umberto Gonzalez reported that Asa had already been chosen for the role, a story carried by most film news sites. In both the 2010 and 2015 casting cycles for Spider-Man, no actor reported by film websites as being all-but-confirmed for the role has ever ended up actually cast as Spider-Man. The other actors erroneously reported to have been cast are Logan Lerman (in April 2010), Jamie Bell (in early June 2010), Josh Hutcherson (on June 30, 2010, one day before the official casting of Andrew Garfield), and Dylan O’Brien (in March 2015).
- On his father’s side, he is the grandson of Jeanne Elizabeth (Hewett) and Roy Butterfield, who is an Emeritus Professor in Engineering and the Environment.
- He developed an iPad app called “Racing Blind” together with his father and brother. It is the only game available on the app store that is meant to be played with the eyes closed.
- He is a supporter of the Arsenal Football Club.
- He grew two inches while shooting Ender’s Game (2013).
- Has worked twice with Ben Kingsley in the movies Hugo and Ender’s Game.
- He’s a fan of professional gamer and caster “Destiny”.
Personal Quotes by Asa Butterfield
I don’t really like scary movies. I mean, I didn’t as a kid, but I think I got a bit better now. I’ve been easing myself into it, starting off with the less spooky ones.- Asa Butterfield
My little sister, who is four, can work my mom’s iPhone better than she can.- Asa Butterfield
I always think that trying to push yourself as an actor in a direction that you’ve never been before, developing characters which are more difficult to get into the head of, or are more interesting and further away from yourself, is always a challenge.- Asa Butterfield
I watched films growing up, but no more than the next guy, really. Working on ‘Hugo’ made me appreciate cinema and the art of cinema a lot more.- Asa Butterfield
I’m a pretty normal person outside of the film world. It doesn’t really affect me when I’m at school or with my mates.- Asa Butterfield