Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Ashley Judd. Check it out!
American actress and political activist Ashley Judd was born Ashley Tyler Ciminella on April 19, 1968, in Granada Hills, California. She grew up in a family of successful performing artists as the daughter of country music singer Naomi Judd and the sister of Wynonna Judd. While she is best known for an ongoing acting career spanning more than two decades, she has increasingly become involved in global humanitarian efforts and political activism.
Interesting Facts about Ashley Judd
- Visited Guatemala from 2 May 2006 to 5 May 2006, along with Salma Hayek and Colombian singer Juanes, as part of a Youth/AIDS campaign.
- Has decided not to run for the U.S. Senate from Kentucky [April 12, 2013].
- On the television show Who Do You Think You Are? (2010), Ashley wanted to learn more about her father’s side of the family. She discovered that her third great grandfather was a union soldier in the Civil War who was taken prisoner twice and had his leg cut off after a battlefield injury. On another branch of her father’s family, she discovered that she descends from a man who was on the Mayflower who had been imprisoned in England.
- A descendant on her mother’s side of Edward Seymour whose sister Jane was married to Henry VIII. She also descends from John of Gaunt (who was the son of King Edward III) and his third wife Katharine De Roet Swynford.
- The global ambassador for YouthAIDS, an international health initiative to raise awareness and combat the spread of H.I.V./AIDS. [November 2004]
- Introduced Gloria Steinem at the March for Women’s Lives in Washington, D.C. on April 25, 2004.
- Modeled her “This is What a Feminist Looks Like” t-shirt for the Ms. Foundation and Ms. Online (ms.magazine.com), as have Whoopi Goldberg, Camryn Manheim and Margaret Cho.
- Her first screen kiss was with Wil Wheaton on Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987).
- Drove from Memphis, Tennessee to Los Angeles, California at age 22 to begin her rise to fame.
- Worked as a waitress at the trendy ‘Ivy’ restaurant while studying the Sanford Meisner technique of acting at Playhouse West in Los Angeles.
- On 19th March 2015, Judd wrote an article for MIC article entitled ‘Forget Your Team: Your Online Violence Toward Girls and Women Is What Can Kiss My Ass’ where she addressed online gender violence. In the same article, she also included her story of surviving being raped by two adult family members when she was a child, “I am a survivor of sexual assault, rape and incest. I am greatly blessed that in 2006, other thriving survivors introduced me to recovery. I seized it.” Judd goes on to discuss her recovery process, and how, through therapy, she was able to confront the trolls on Twitter who were threatening sexual violence against her.
- Gave testimony to U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee, “Stopping Cross Generational Sex and Sexual Violence to Protect Young Women from AIDS in Developing Countries: A Call to Action”, June 23, 2005, as Global Ambassador for Youth AIDS and member of the Board of Directors of Population Services International (PSI).
Personal Quotes by Ashley Judd
I have a responsibility to nurture and shepherd my talent and when I’m living the parts of my life not related to that I feel I have the right to be left alone.- Ashley Judd
You don’t stay married for 35 years by accident. I think that that’s willful and intentional and something that both people really want.- Ashley Judd
Ruby in Paradise and the intensity and quality that I was able to experience on Smoke were equally as important to me as working on this movie every day for three-and-a-half months.- Ashley Judd
I think it’s easy for me to connect to some people, and I don’t know if that’s the same thing as falling in love whereas before, I might have said it was.- Ashley Judd
I think that being perceptive and having interests is nothing but an asset.- Ashley Judd