Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Benedict Cumberbatch. Check it out!
Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch was born and raised in London, England. His parents, Wanda Ventham and Timothy Carlton (born Timothy Carlton Congdon Cumberbatch), are both actors. He is a grandson of submarine commander Henry Carlton Cumberbatch, and a great-grandson of diplomat Henry Arnold Cumberbatch CMG. Cumberbatch attended Brambletye School and Harrow School. Whilst at Harrow, he had an arts scholarship and painted large oil canvases. It’s also where he began acting. After he finished school, he took a year off to volunteer as an English teacher in a Tibetan monastery in Darjeeling, India. On his return, he studied drama at Manchester University. He continued his training as an actor at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art graduating with an M.A. in Classical Acting. By the time he had completed his studies, he already had an agent.
Interesting Facts about Benedict Cumberbatch
- Benedict’s favorite filmmakers are Stanley Kubrick, Michael Winterbottom, Steven Soderbergh, John Hughes and Alfred Hitchcock.
- He experienced a terrifying carjacking in South Africa while filming To the Ends of the Earth (2005). He wrote about the experience in an article for The Prince’s Trust for which he is ambassador.
- He was the cover star of The Hollywood Reporter’s “New A-List” issue in September 2013.
- During his gap year, before studying Drama in Manchester University, he spent some time volunteering as an English teacher at a Tibetan Buddhist Monastery in Darjeeling, India. The pupils were mostly Tibetans.
- In March 2014, Cumberbatch was included in The Sunday Times’ “100 Makers of the 21st Century” list citing him as the “next Sir Laurence Olivier”.
- Three of his roles have connections to Leonard Nimoy. Obviously, Nimoy originated the role of Mr. Spock. He also played Sherlock Holmes on stage, and in the 1970s, released a song called “The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins”.
- Has two sons with his wife Sophie Hunter: Christopher Carlton Cumberbatch (born June 1, 2015), Hal Auden Cumberbatch (born March 3, 2017).
- In June 2016, Cumberbatch, along with Sir Patrick Stewart, guided more than 280 figures for the arts world who backed the vote to remain in the European Union (EU) for the 2016 United Kingdom European Union membership referendum.
- Fond of extreme sports like skydiving, hot-air ballooning, scuba diving and snowboarding.
- Benedict Cumberbatch is good friends with Eddie Redmayne. Both actors have portrayed Professor Stephen Hawking in different productions: Cumberbatch in Hawking (2004), and Redmayne in The Theory of Everything (2014). Both actors also received their first Academy Award nominations together, playing real life characters: Redmayne for his role as Stephen Hawking in The Theory of Everything (2014), and Cumberbatch for his role as Alan Turing in The Imitation Game (2014).
- Has played two villains named “Khan”: Khan Noonien Singh in Star Trek into Darkness (2013), and the voice of tiger Shere Khan in Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle (2018).
- Became good friends with Gary Oldman on the set of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011).
Personal Quotes by Benedict Cumberbatch
Every job is incredibly different, and I love it because you’re picking up skill sets and experiences. It’s the university of life.- Benedict Cumberbatch
I wasn’t born into land or titles, or new money, or an oil rig.- Benedict Cumberbatch
If you have an over-preoccupation with perception and trying to please people’s expectations, then you can go mad.- Benedict Cumberbatch
I’m not loyal to one genre. I want to mix it up.- Benedict Cumberbatch
I was always performing, doing silly voices. The teachers realized I could go one of two ways: be creative or destructive.- Benedict Cumberbatch