Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Dave Chappelle. Check it out!
Dave Chappelle’s career started while he was in high school at Duke Ellington School of the Arts in Washington, DC where he studied theatre arts. At the age of 14, he began performing stand-up comedy in nightclubs. Shortly after graduation, he moved to New York City where he quickly established himself as a major young talent. At the age of 19, Chappelle made his film debut in Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993). Chappelle then starred in the short-lived sitcom, Buddies (1996) and had a featured role in The Nutty Professor (1996).
Interesting Facts about Dave Chappelle
- Is one of the few (if not only) celebrities to do advertisements for both Coca-Cola and Pepsi.
- Wife Elaine is a Filipina.
- Was in talks to play Rick James in a film about James’ life. Prior to James’ death, due to some content objections by Rick James himself, it was decided the project would not happen. (2004)
- #43 on Comedy Central’s 100 Greatest Standups of All Time. He is the youngest person to make the list.
- Living in Ohio after leaving for Africa on a spiritual retreat. [December 2005]
- Turned down an offer to host the 2004 2004 MTV Video Music Awards (2004).
- Often appears opposite a Saturday Night Live (1975) star: Screwed (2000) (with Norm MacDonald), Half Baked (1998) (with Jim Breuer), and Undercover Brother (2002) (with Chris Kattan).
- Was considered by Kevin Smith to play Fletch in his aborted “Fletch Won” reboot. But Miramax refused him.
- These three specials will be released simultaneously in 2017.
- Appeared on Actor Studio on 12th February 2006 [February 2006]
- His maternal grandmother, Beatrice (Murray), was born in Grenada, and was a real estate broker and civil rights activist. His other grandparents were all African-American. Dave’s paternal great-grandfather, William D. Chappelle (William David Chappelle), was an educationalist, a bishop of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, and President of Allen University. A paternal great-great-grandfather, Robert J. Palmer, was a land-owning merchant, who was a member of the South Carolina Legislature, then majority black, during Reconstruction.
- Sits in with Howard Stern when in New York. Chappelle is one of Stern’s favorite comedians.
Personal Quotes by Dave Chappelle
The worst thing to call somebody is crazy. It’s dismissive.- Dave Chappelle
The language you are about to hear… is disturbing.- Dave Chappelle
I love being famous – it’s phenomenal.- Dave Chappelle
The world can’t tell you who you are. You’ve just got to figure out who you are and be there, for better or worse.- Dave Chappelle
I’m an introspective dude.- Dave Chappelle