Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Heather Matarazzo. Check it out!
Heather Matarazzo was born November 10, 1982, in Oyster Bay, New York. She was adopted by Camille and Ray Matarazzo, an Italian-American couple (she is of Irish descent birth). Heather attended Oyster Bay High School, as well as the Long Island High School for the Arts. In 1997, she made her film debut in Welcome to the Dollhouse (1995), she played the lead role of Dawn Wiener a shy, unattractive, unpopular 7th grader who falls for a charismatic and handsome aspiring rock musician, and decides to pursue him romantically. Her performance in the film won an Independent Spirit Award.
Interesting Facts about Heather Matarazzo
- Attended a GLSEN conference as the keynote speaker in Brookline, Massachusetts. [April 2005]
- She Became great friends with Anne Hathaway during the shooting of The Princess Diaries (2001). They still call each other frequently and hope to be friends for the rest of their lives.
- She is Irish-American. Her biological father was from County Knock, Ireland.
- Her homemaker mom, Camille, and dad Ray – a data processor – live on Long Island.
- Won the Independent Spirit Award for Best Debut Performance for her starring role in Welcome to the Dollhouse (1995).
- Moving to Los Angeles [April 2002]
- She is not the mother of Gaten Matarazzo, whose mother is also named Heather.
- She is of completely Irish descent and was adopted by an Italian-American family, hence her surname.
- Heather wrote an article on her blog entitled ‘What the fuck is fuckable’ on 6th February 2015, which was in turn featured on Huffington Post on 7th April 2016. The article addressed the issue of beauty and looks in the film industry which arose from an incident where Heather was fired from a movie just 2 weeks before filming began despite having stayed committed to the project for 2 years. The director broke the news to her and said her firing was the producers’ decision, citing her as not being ‘fuckable’ for the movie. Heather used the article to vehemently protest against Charlize Theron’s claims that she (Theron) had been passed up for roles because of her looks in an interview entitled ‘Pretty People Get Turned Away First For Serious Roles’ for British GQ magazine for their April 2016 issue.
- In April 2005, she was the keynote speaker at the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network of Boston’s 15th annual conference, at Brookline High School, where she described her struggle to gain acceptance of her sexuality. “It was such a burden, because I had to pretend to be this person that I wasn’t.”
- She was scheduled to be at a meeting on the 15th floor of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001, shortly after the attacks occurred, but she overslept.
- Starring with Thaao Penghlis in the world premiere of “Class”, by Charles Evered, at Cape May Stage in Cape May, NJ. [May 2010]
Personal Quotes by Heather Matarazzo
I just have a belief that when there is a rare script out there that speaks to you, you have to stick with it. You have to.- Heather Matarazzo
I smile so much at the theater my face hurts when I leave.- Heather Matarazzo
It’s good to get out of the closet and talk about it and find out other people’s views.- Heather Matarazzo
If I was just considered a looker and wasn’t considered an actor, where would I be in 10 or 20 years from now?- Heather Matarazzo
They don’t teach you just how to be in school. There’s no class on that. There’s no multiple choice test for Why Do I Feel This Way?- Heather Matarazzo