Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Idina Menzel. Check it out!
Idina Menzel was born on May 30, 1971 in Syosset, New York, USA as Idina Kim Mentzel. She has been married to Aaron Lohr since September 2017. She was previously married to Taye Diggs.
Interesting Facts about Idina Menzel
- Parents are Stuart and Helene Mentzel (divorced)
- Her character in “Rent”, Maureen, is based on Musetta from La Boheme. Two references are made to this. Roger’s attempts to write a song resemble “Musetta’s Waltz”. which Mark directly points out. Musetta’s Waltz was also the basis for “The Tango Maureen”.
- Oldest nephew is named Avery. He was born in 2000.
- Cracked a rib as a result of a fall through a trap door during a matinée show in “Wicked” on 8 January 2005, and could not perform the next day, what was to be her last performance. Her standby Shoshana Bean covered for her, but Idina made a special out-of-costume appearance and did her final song to a standing ovation before being bid farewell at the curtain call (along with Joey McIntyre who was also leaving that day).
- Upon being announced as the winner of the 2004 Tony Award for “Wicked”, she went and kissed and hugged her co-star and fellow nominee Kristin Chenoweth, only to then turn back afterward to kiss her husband Taye Diggs.
- In the fifth grade, she played Dorothy in her school’s production of “The Wizard of Oz”.
- Her last name was originally spelled “Mentzel” but she decided to take the T out because everyone pronounced it incorrectly.
- Received her Bachelor’s of Fine Arts degree in Drama from New York University, Tisch School of the Arts (1993).
- Married her boyfriend of two years Aaron Lohr following a year-long engagement. [September 2017]
- Sings a duet, entitled “I Will Be There”, with the late Ray Charles on the album “Genius and Friends” which was released September 20, 2005.
- Performed concert version of the musical, “Chess”, along with Josh Groban, at the Royal Albert Hall.
- Played Fanny Brice in “Funny Girl” and played the mother of Rachel Berry, a character whose dream was to play Fanny Price and later did.
Personal Quotes by Idina Menzel
I’m smart enough to know to work with smart people.- Idina Menzel
I think that if you’re doing a new musical, you want to have the opportunity to experiment and try things without the whole city of critics looking over your shoulder.- Idina Menzel
All performers get on stage because they need to feel love from an audience. I might appear confident, but those three seconds before I get out there, I’m a mess. But I have to take the risk; otherwise, I’d be miserable and would feel like I wasn’t seeing through my personal destiny.- Idina Menzel
Along with enough sleep and taking proper supplements, I steam – in my steam shower. I find it’s very healing, more than just your typical ‘tea and honey.’- Idina Menzel
I don’t quite know how to put it into words, but I feel for the audience that I have; I know them.- Idina Menzel