Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about James Caan. Check it out!
A masculine and enigmatic actor whose life and movie career have had more ups and downs than the average rollercoaster and whose selection of roles has arguably derailed him from achieving true superstar status, James Caan is New York-born and bred.
Interesting Facts about James Caan
- He was considered for Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver (1976).
- He was considered for Bellocq in Pretty Baby (1978).
- Played football for Michigan State University.
- Briefly lived at the Playboy Mansion in the 1970s.
- Two of his memorable scenes from The Godfather (1972) have been parodied on The Simpsons (1989). The scene where Sonny beats up Carlo in the street was turned into a scene where Marge does the same to a man who mugged her. Sonny’s death scene has actually been parodied twice. The first time involved Bart being ambushed with snowballs at school. The second actually involved Caan himself making a guest appearance, and being ambushed at a tollbooth again.
- He has appeared in four films directed by Francis Ford Coppola: The Rain People (1969), The Godfather (1972), The Godfather: Part II (1974) and Gardens of Stone (1987).
- Avid golfer.
- His film contracts during his rodeo days had provisions that he would not compete in rodeos while filming. This was for fear that he might be injured or killed in an accident.
- Studied Economics at Michigan State University.
- He made his screen singing debut in ‘Funny Lady’ and played the piano which he studied as a child.
- According to the British documentary The Godfather and the Mob (2006), Caan was regularly seen with Gambino family underboss Carmine Persico (aka “Junior”) during the filming of The Godfather (1972). As Persico was under surveillance by the FBI at the time, Caan came under almost equal scrutiny.
- Two generations of his family and the Coppola family have worked together. He worked with Francis Ford Coppola most memorably in the first two Godfather films (The Godfather (1972) and The Godfather: Part II (1974)) and in Gardens of Stone (1987). His son, Scott Caan, appeared in Sonny (2002), which was directed by Nicolas Cage and featured Cage and his brother, Marc Coppola. Sonny was also the name of Caan’s “Godfather” character.
Personal Quotes by James Caan
People wonder why first-time directors can make a brilliant picture, then suck on the second one. It’s because they’re a little terrified the first time. So they listen to all the experts around them.- James Caan
I loved ‘Funny Lady’ for whatever reason. People say they didn’t know I could sing and dance. Well, nobody ever asks me – it’s always, ‘Punch this guy.’- James Caan
A lot of young actors look up to me, and I wouldn’t trade that for any money in the world. I don’t want to lose their respect and be a hypocrite.- James Caan
I remember at 16 years old, growing up in Queens, we were punks, but hey, when we went to the theater, we wore a shirt and tie! Similarly, I believe that to keep movie theaters in existence, they’re gonna have to make ’em an event, have a couch, a table and drinks or something. Otherwise, there’s no reason to get out of your bed!- James Caan