Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Jared Leto. Check it out!
Jared Leto is a very familiar face in recent film history. Although he has always been the lead vocals, rhythm guitar, and songwriter for American band Thirty Seconds to Mars, Leto is an accomplished actor merited by the numerous, challenging projects he has taken in his life. He is known to be selective about his film roles.
Interesting Facts about Jared Leto
- Leto worked with the organization Junior Blind of America to research blindness in preparation for the role of Niander Wallace in Blade Runner 2049 (2017).
- Touring Italy with 30 Seconds to Mars, performing in Milan and Pisa. [June 2007]
- Leto listed his longtime home for sale in November 2016 for $1,999,999. The Hollywood Hills home, dubbed the “Mars Lab,” served as both his home and recording studio for his band, Thirty Seconds to Mars, since March 2006. The sale comes two years after Leto purchased the 1.7-acre Lookout Mountain Laboratory, a former military compound, in Los Angeles for $5 million.
- Jared Leto grew out his hair and beard for most of 2016 to prepare for the role of Nick Lowell in The Outsider (2018) and have the appearance of an American prisoner of war.
- With the help of NASA, Thirty Seconds to Mars sent a copy of the debut single from their album, Love Lust Faith + Dreams, into space in 2013. The single, “Up In the Air” was played inside of the International Space Station.
- Leto gained over 20lbs of muscle as part of his physical transformation into the Joker for Suicide Squad (2016).
- He gained 62 lb for his latest role, playing Mark David Chapman, in Chapter 27 (2007). Then lost the weight by going on an all-liquid diet consisting of lemon juice, maple syrup, cayenne pepper, and water. He lost 20 lb in 10 days.
- Leto described the opportunity to be a part of Blade Runner 2049 (2017) as a great honor, as his favorite film is the 1982 original. At CinemaCon 2017, Leto elaborated on how Blade Runner (1982) influenced his life due to the film’s cinematography, art direction, directing, music, and acting.
- Leto is a natural brunette, but he has sported several different hairstyles and hair colors throughout his career. These include a bright pink mohawk with bleached sides, dyed blue hair, bleached blonde hair, long dyed black hair, and dyed green hair for his role in Suicide Squad (2016).
- To prepare for the role of the Joker in Suicide Squad (2016), Leto watched hours of real crime footage on YouTube until he couldn’t watch anymore. His reasoning was to understand how calm and deliberate a criminal can be and he wanted to apply that to the character.
- All of Leto’s tattoos are related to his band, 30 Seconds to Mars:The Latin phrase “Provehito In Altum” is tattooed across his right collar bone. The phrase serves as the band’s motto and roughly translates into ‘launch forth into the depth.’The Alchemy triangle symbol for air, also the band’s “triad” logo, is tattooed on the exterior of both of his forearms.The red “glyph” symbol is tattooed on the inside of his right wrist.The Orbis Epsilon, a circle divided into two parts with four arrows shooting out, is a favorite shape of the band. Leto revealed the back tattoo after he hit 1 million Twitter followers.The Echelon “X” symbol, that is also part of his band’s iconography, is tattooed on the inside of Leto’s left forearm.He has large Roman arrows tattooed on the back of both calves.
- Leto suffered a back injury while rock climbing with free-solo climber, Alex Honnold, in February 2017. The incident caused Leto to experience painful lesions that formed after the injury.
Personal Quotes by Jared Leto
It’s not like I’m hanging out at shopping malls or going to celebrity golf tournaments. I’m so in my own little world. I got my dog, my music, my brother, a couple of friends.- Jared Leto
A very common thing these days is people show up and they ask us in the band to sign with a Sharpie right on their skin and they go get it tattooed the next day. Then they’ll show up at another show and they’ll have their tattoo.- Jared Leto
I think I remember from the offset I said, ‘I’ve visited this territory. This isn’t for me.’ And then I read the script and I said, ‘You know, this is completely something different. This is a whole new life.’- Jared Leto
I’ve always liked Saturn. But I also have some sympathy for Pluto because I heard it’s been downgraded from a planet, and I think it should remain a planet. Once you’ve given something planetary status it’s kind of mean to take it away.- Jared Leto
I don’t know, when I was a kid, when I would see shows that changed my life, I would go to see shows where there was my mother taking us to see classic rock concerts, like Zeppelin, or when I saw Pink Floyd or when I saw, you know, when I was a little older, and I saw Nine Inch Nails, and I saw The Cure.- Jared Leto