Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Jason Momoa. Check it out!
Joseph Jason Namakaeha Momoa was born on August 1, 1979, in Honolulu, Hawaii. He is the son of Coni (Lemke), a photographer, and Joseph Momoa, a painter. His father is of Hawaiian descent and his mother, who is from Iowa, is of mostly German ancestry. Jason was raised in Norwalk, Iowa, by his mother. After high school, he moved to Hawaii, where he landed a lead role, beating out of thousands of hopefuls in the TV series Baywatch (1989) (known as “Baywatch Hawaii” in its 10th season). When the show ended, he spent the next couple of years traveling around the world. In 2001, he moved to Los Angeles, where he continued to pursue an acting career. In 2004, after the short-lived TV series North Shore (2004), he was cast as the popular character “Ronon Dex” in the TV series Stargate: Atlantis (2004), which achieved a cult-like following. In 2010, he appeared in the Emmy-nominated HBO series Game of Thrones (2011), playing the Dothraki king, Khal Drogo. To illustrate to the producers that he was Khal Drogo, he performed the Haka, a traditional war dance of the Maori of New Zealand. The audition was with the same casting director who was casting the titular role in the reboot of Conan the Barbarian (2011). Four weeks after being cast as the popular Robert E. Howard character, Momoa began shooting in Bulgaria. His approach, like that of the filmmakers, was to pull from the eight decades of comics and stories as well as the Frank Frazetta images rather than the hugely popular 1982 movie. Jason has a production company, Pride of Gypsies, in which he is expanding his career from actor to filmmaker. He has directed a couple of short films and is working on his feature film debut Road to Paloma (2014), which is pulled from a series of stories that he’s been developing over the years, which he calls the Brown Bag Diaries: Ridin’ the Blinds in B Minor (2010). Jason lives with his wife, actress Lisa Bonet, with whom he has two children, Lola and Nakoa-Wolf.
Interesting Facts about Jason Momoa
- He shares one middle name, Namakaeha, with his father.
- In Polynesian, the word “momoa” means dry.
- Born on the same date as Honeysuckle Weeks.
- In his mid-teens he became the youngest lifeguard in the history of the Gulf Coast.
- Stepfather of Zoë Kravitz.
- On November 15, 2008, Momoa was attacked with a broken beer glass in West Hollywood, California. According to an AP news article, 140 stitches and subsequent reconstructive surgery were required.
- Nephew of famed surfer Brian L. Keaulana.
- On November 15, 2008, Momoa was slashed in the face with a broken beer glass at the Birds Cafe, a club in Hollywood, California. He received some140 stitches during reconstructive surgery, which resulted in the scar on his left eyebrow. Dominic Bando, 21, then living in Venice Beach, California, was convicted of the crime and received a five-year prison sentence.
- Hosted the 1999 Miss Teen Hawaii USA contest.
- Won the 1999 Hawaii’s Model of the Year.
- He and Lisa Bonet welcomed their first child, a daughter, born on July 23, 2007; named Lola Iolani Momoa.
- Participated in the Governor’s Fashion Show and Liberty House fashion show.
Personal Quotes by Jason Momoa
I was born in Hawaii, but I was raised in Iowa.- Jason Momoa
In my man cave, I have tomahawks, throwing knives, and old black-bear furs. There’s skulls, weapons everywhere.- Jason Momoa
I have my ups and my downs like anyone. All I can do is be me.- Jason Momoa
I’m one of those freaky people that actually reads books.- Jason Momoa
I got called ‘pretty boy’ my whole life.- Jason Momoa