Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Jason Statham. Check it out!
Jason Statham was born in Shirebrook, Derbyshire, to Eileen (Yates), a dancer, and Barry Statham, a street merchant and lounge singer. He was a Diver on the British National Diving Team and finished twelfth in the World Championships in 1992. He has also been a fashion model, black market salesman and finally of course, actor. He received the audition for his debut role as Bacon in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) through French Connection, for whom he was modeling. They became a major investor in the film and introduced Jason to Guy Ritchie, who invited him to audition for a part in the film by challenging him to impersonate an illegal street vendor and convince him to purchase fake jewelry. Jason must have been doing something right because after the success of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) he teamed up again with Guy Ritchie for Snatch (2000), with co-stars including Brad Pitt, Dennis Farina and Benicio Del Toro. After Snatch (2000) came Turn It Up (2000) with US music star Ja Rule, followed by a supporting actor role in the sci-fi film Ghosts of Mars (2001), Jet Li’s The One (2001) and another screen partnership with Vinnie Jones in Mean Machine (2001) under Guy Ritchie’s and Matthew Vaughn’s SKA Films. Finally in 2002 he was cast as the lead role of Frank Martin in The Transporter (2002). Jason was also in the summer 2003 blockbuster remake of The Italian Job (1969), The Italian Job (2003), playing Handsome Rob.
Interesting Facts about Jason Statham
- Has played six different characters in recurring roles: Frank Martin (The Transporter), Chev Chelios (Crank), Deckard Shaw (Fast & Furious Series), Arthur Bishop (The Mechanic), Lee Christmas (The Expendables) and Rick Ford (Spy).
- He turned down a role in RocknRolla (2008) due to his commitment to Death Race (2008).
- Jason Statham spent 12 years on the British national diving team, competing on the 10-meter platform and the 3-meter springboard. In 1992, he was ranked 12th in the world as a platform diver.
- Has appeared in two films with Ray Liotta, Revolver (2005) and In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale (2007), both in which he is the protagonist and Liotta is the antagonist.
- Well trained in Mixed Martial Arts and is an expert in Kickboxing/Jujitsu.
- Is in a relationship with Rosie Huntington-Whiteley.
- A keen supporter of Nottingham Forest Football Club.
- He was considered for the lead role in Stolen (2012) that went to Nicolas Cage.
- Is friends with actor Vinnie Jones, and worked with him 3 times: first in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998), then in Snatch (2000) and finally in Mean Machine (2001).
- An article by Times Higher Education, reported that Manchester University Press commissioned an academic study analyzing the impact Jason Statham has had on the British and American film industries from his debut in 1998 to 2018. According to the article, professors Steven Gerrard and Robert Shail are looking to show “the changing face of British cinematic masculinity” into “one that embraces cinema across a wide range of projects, but one that also uses cross-textual media in his output”.
- Has appeared in two films which include the song “I Wanna Be Your Dog” by The Stooges: Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) and Transporter 3 (2008).
- Engaged to Rosie Huntington-Whiteley [January 10, 2016].
Personal Quotes by Jason Statham
When I’m getting ready for a movie, let’s just say my diet is ‘The Antisocial Diet.’ I don’t go to restaurants. I don’t eat what I really want to eat. I don’t eat much. I eat small things frequently. Lots of protein and greens. And I don’t eat with people, because there’s a tendency to get social and then to overeat.- Jason Statham
I like to meditate. But I get rid of my stress at the gym.- Jason Statham
Your body is like a piece of dynamite. You can tap it with a pencil all day, but you’ll never make it explode. You hit it once with a hammer: Bang! Get serious. Do 40 hard minutes, not an hour and half of nonsense. It’s so much more rewarding.- Jason Statham
People love stories about the mafia: ‘The Godfather,’ ‘American Gangster.’- Jason Statham
I’ve come from nowhere, and I’m not shy to go back.- Jason Statham