Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Katheryn Winnick. Check it out!
Canadian actress, director and producer Katheryn Winnick stars in the critically acclaimed, Emmy award-winning television series Vikings, produced by MGM and The History Channel. In addition to her lead role on Vikings, an episode directed by Winnick debuted in 2020. Entertainment Weekly declared that her role as “Lagertha may be the most exciting feminist character on TV.” Her portrayal of the fierce shieldmaiden has garnered her several impressive accolades including a Women’s Image Network award for Best Actress in a Drama Series in 2018, a nomination for a Critic’s Choice Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, a Canadian Screen Award nomination for Best Performance by a Lead Dramatic Actress (2014), Best Actress in a Drama Series by the Women’s Image Network nominations in 2014, 2015 and 2016 and a Golden Maple Award nomination for Best Actress in a TV Series. In addition to these prestigious nominations, Katheryn received the Serendipity Film’s Award of Excellence at the Banff World Media Festival in 2015. She was also chosen to be a jury member for the 2019 Cannes Series festival.
Interesting Facts about Katheryn Winnick
- Was born in Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada (near Toronto).
- Katheryn and her three siblings dropped the final vowel from their birth name Winnicki.
- She began studying martial arts at the age of 7, and earned her first black belt at age 13. She opened her first dojo, Win Kai Martial Arts, at the age of 16; it has since expanded to three locations in Toronto and New York.
- Was handpicked from thousands of aspiring young actors to be featured in the initial season of Bravo’s popular documentary TV series, The It Factor (2002).
- Her brother Markjan Winnick is also an actor.
- Known to her family as Katrusia.
- Chosen by Vanity Fair to appear in the magazine’s high-profile and highly-selective “Vanities” section (September 2009).
- Holds a 3rd-degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and a 2nd-degree black belt in Karate. She is also a licensed bodyguard.
- She is a popular choice among DC comics fans to play the role of Dinah Lance/Black Canary in a live-action film.
- Her brother Adam fought in Afghanistan as a Canadian soldier.
- Did not begin speaking English until age 8.
- Studied acting at New York’s William Esper Studio.
Personal Quotes by Katheryn Winnick
I grew up being a bit of a tomboy, a big-time tomboy.- Katheryn Winnick
My first car was a Chevy Cavalier. My dad somehow convinced me that it was a hot sports car because it was red.- Katheryn Winnick
I started my own martial arts school at 16. And by the time I was 21, I had three different schools.- Katheryn Winnick
When I was growing up, there were times I had to compete against boys in tae kwon do, and I’d show them right away that I wasn’t someone to mess with.- Katheryn Winnick