Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Kaya Scodelario. Check it out!
Kaya Rose Scodelario was born in Haywards Heath, Sussex, England, to Katia (Scodelario) and Roger Humphrey. Her father was English and her mother is Brazilian, of Italian and Portuguese descent. Her surname comes from her mother’s Italian grandfather. Thanks to her mother, Kaya grew up fluent in Brazilian Portuguese, as well as English. At the age of fourteen, she auditioned for Skins (2007), the debut series for new channel E4 that would become known for casting real teenagers like her, who had no professional acting experience, rather than experienced adult actors. She won the role of “Effy Stonem” and joined the show in January 2007. After an challenging debut in which she never spoke, Scodelario and Effy made quite an impression on viewers. At the forefront of many disasters, including stalkers, death, and sexual pressures, Effy became a fan favorite for her ability to resolve testing life situations while keeping her head above water. As the character and the role grew, Scodelario enjoyed depicting what she described as the realistic trials and challenges Effy faced with friendships, relationships, and adolescence. After two seasons of Skins (2007), the series endured an overhaul at the end of 2007. Feeling that most of the characters had run their course, the writers wrote out every character except Effy. This put significantly more pressure on Scodelario because it meant that she would be the most recognizable face for season three. As she waited for the new season of Skins (2007) to begin, she took advantage of her recent clout to seek out additional career opportunities. She joined the elite agency Models 1 and soon was featured as the cover model for SuperSuper Magazine. She made her feature film debut with a role in Moon (2009), starring Sam Rockwell as an astronaut suffering from surreal encounters while on the moon. With a blossoming film career and her successful TV series to fall back on, Kaya Scodelario is certainly someone to watch.
Interesting Facts about Kaya Scodelario
- Said that she does not speak a word English with her mother. Both are only conversing in Portuguese, which is her mother’s native language.
- Was the face of J.Estina’s 2012 Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter campaigns with Soo-hyun Kim.
- At the age of 14 she decided to become an actress.
- Gave birth to her 1st child at age 24, a son in November 2016. Child’s father is her husband, Benjamin Walker.
- Is dyslexic.
- Is fluent in Portuguese.
- Her father was English. Her mother is Brazilian, and has Italian and Portuguese ancestry.
- Has a french bulldog named Arnie.
- She was 14 when she auditioned for Skins. But in order to increase her chances of getting noticed, she claimed to be 16 on the audition forms. After a while, she was about to leave, because she felt herself too young for the show. A producer of the show noticed her and encouraged her to stay for the audition anyways. However, she was not cast as Effy at first. Another actress got the part, and after she dropped out, Scodelario was cast.
- She was ranked #12 on Portrait Magazine’s ‘Top 30 Under 30’ list (2013).
- Was in a relationship with Jack O’Connell, while starring in Skins (2007), until 2009.
- Has a shared tattoo with ex-boyfriend, Elliott Tittensor, that says “our love is unique” in Portuguese. A year later, she was engaged to Benjamin Walker.
Personal Quotes by Kaya Scodelario
She had to play the role of mother and father at the same time, and she did it to perfection. I managed to find a way through because of her. My mother is my biggest inspiration.- Kaya Scodelario
People don’t realise how dyslexia affects your confidence and how brutal it can be. People think you’re dumb, and you know you’re not. it’s just how your brain works.- Kaya Scodelario
I was incredibly shy and insecure as a child. I was bullied. I was dyslexic. I had an immigrant single parent. I was the opposite of that kind of ideal, cool girl thing.- Kaya Scodelario
Clothes are my drug. I love Camden market – I have so many vintage pieces from there it’s unbelievable. Clothes are really important to me, they give me that feeling of happiness. I love being a bit free with it all and not giving myself rules.- Kaya Scodelario
When I was growing up, we didn’t have much money. What was important in my house was to have food on the table, be happy, and have our family.- Kaya Scodelario