Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Keanu Reeves. Check it out!
Keanu Charles Reeves, whose first name means “cool breeze over the mountains” in Hawaiian, was born September 2, 1964 in Beirut, Lebanon. He is the son of Patricia Taylor, a showgirl and costume designer, and Samuel Nowlin Reeves, a geologist. Keanu’s father was born in Hawaii, of British, Portuguese, Native Hawaiian, and Chinese ancestry, and Keanu’s mother is originally from England. After his parents’ marriage dissolved, Keanu moved with his mother and younger sister, Kim Reeves, to New York City, then Toronto. Stepfather #1 was Paul Aaron, a stage and film director – he and Patricia divorced within a year, after which she went on to marry (and divorce) rock promoter Robert Miller and hair salon owner Jack Bond. Reeves never reconnected with his biological father. In high school, Reeves was lukewarm toward academics but took a keen interest in ice hockey (as team goalie, he earned the nickname “The Wall”) and drama. He eventually dropped out of school to pursue an acting career.
Interesting Facts about Keanu Reeves
- Had a bathtub scene in two films with Rachel Weisz, where she sits in the tub with clothes on and he is outside the tub: Constantine (2005) and Chain Reaction (1996).
- Named after his uncle Henry Keanu Reeves. “Keanu” is a derivation of Reeves’ great-great-uncle Keaweaheulu, whose name means “the soft breeze raising” in Hawaiian.
- Younger sister, Kim Reeves (born in Australia in 1966). Through his mother, he has a half-sister named Karina Miller (born in 1976 in Toronto). Through his father, he has a half-sister named Emma Reeves (born in 1980 in Hawaii).
- Arrested in Los Angeles, California; charged with drunk driving. [May 1993]
- Joel Schumacher considered him for the role of The Scarecrow (Jonathan Crane) in the fifth Batman movie had Schumacher gone on to direct Batman 5. The failure of Batman & Robin (1997) prevented that from happening.
- Hobbies include horseback riding and surfing (both inspired from movie roles).
- His first theater work was with Shakespeare and Company in Lenox, Massachusetts in “The Tempest”.
- Replaced Val Kilmer as the title role in Johnny Mnemonic (1995) when Kilmer left the project upon being offered the role of Bruce Wayne in Batman Forever (1995). Ironically, Kilmer later replaced Reeves as Chris Siherlis in Heat (1995).
- Was originally cast as Chris Shiherlis in Heat (1995) but later backed out of the project. The role went to Val Kilmer.
- Had job sharpening ice skates.
- Chosen by Empire magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history (#17). [August 1995]
- Met Stephen Hamel in 1986, when Hamel photographed Reeves. The two went on to create their production outfit Company Films.
Personal Quotes by Keanu Reeves
I’m a meathead. I can’t help it, man. You’ve got smart people and you’ve got dumb people.- Keanu Reeves
I’m Mickey Mouse. They don’t know who’s inside the suit.- Keanu Reeves
On a good night, I get underwear, bras, and hotel-room keys thrown onstage… You start to think that you’re Tom Jones.- Keanu Reeves
It’s the journey of self, I guess. You start with this kind of loner, outside guy, which a lot of people can relate to, and he goes out into the world.- Keanu Reeves
When I don’t feel free and can’t do what I want I just react. I go against it.- Keanu Reeves