Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Lucy Liu. Check it out!
Born to immigrants in Queens, New York, Lucy Liu has always tried to balance an interest in her cultural heritage with a desire to move beyond a strictly Asian-American experience. Lucy’s mother, Cecilia, a biochemist, is from Beijing, and her father, Tom Liu, a civil engineer, is from Shanghai. Once relegated to “ethnic” parts, the energetic actress is finally earning her stripes as an across-the-board leading lady.
Interesting Facts about Lucy Liu
- Grew up in the Jackson Heights section of Queens County, New York.
- Chosen by Goldsea Asian American Daily as one of the “100 Most Inspiring Asian Americans of All Time” (ranked #51).
- Member of The Committee of 100 since 2004, an organization of Chinese Americans that aims to serve as a bridge between China and the United States. Other members include Yo-Yo Ma, Joan Chen and Teddy Zee.
- Was named a U.S. Fund for UNICEF Ambassador (2005).
- Her mother is a biochemist; her father works as a civil engineer.
- Practices rock climbing, skiing, and horseback riding.
- Considers herself multitasking.
- Award of Merit for voice-over in “The No Name Painting Association” at the Best Shorts Competition 2013.
- Speaks Mandarin Chinese and English fluently.
- Attended New York University for a year.
- Close friends with her Pearl (1996) co-star Rhea Perlman and her husband Danny DeVito.
- Is the second Asian American Woman to be honored a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The First was Anna May Wong. Their stars are adjacent to each other.
Personal Quotes by Lucy Liu
People use location as a language in films, and Quentin uses action as a language in his films. There’s really not a lot of violence. It’s more of an emotional beat than it is a physical beat.Lucy Liu
Nobody really tells me what’s going on, and I find out via the trades myself.Lucy Liu
I’ve never really thought about competing with cartoons. If it ever gets to that point, then just shoot me.Lucy Liu
Women who wear kimonos, when the fight, they have to keep their knees together, and when they use a sword, they have to move the sleeves otherwise it gets caught.Lucy Liu
Once you embody the language, the character comes really naturally, especially when you put the costume on.Lucy Liu