Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Maggie Smith. Check it out!
One of the world’s most famous and distinguished actresses, Dame Maggie Smith was born Margaret Natalie Smith in Essex. Her Scottish mother, Margaret (Hutton), worked as a secretary, and her English father, Nathaniel Smith, was a teacher at Oxford University. Smith has been married twice: to actor Robert Stephens and to playwright Beverley Cross. Her marriage to Stephens ended in divorce in 1974. She was married to Cross until his death in 1999. She had two sons with Stephens, Chris Larkin and Toby Stephens who are also actors.
Interesting Facts about Maggie Smith
- She was not present to collect her first Oscar, for The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969); it was accepted on her behalf by Alice Ghostley, who inadvertently credited the direction of the film to its producer, Robert Fryer.
- Devoted to author Jane Austen and her work.
- Is a good friend of Judi Dench.
- Pictured on one of a set of eight British commemorative postage stamps celebrating the 200th anniversary of The Old Vic Theatre, issued 30 August 2018. The stamp shows Smith in a 1970 performance of Hedda Gabler. Other performers appearing on stamps in this set are Laurence Olivier, Glenda Jackson, Albert Finney, John Gielgud, Ralph Richardson, Sharon Benson, Judi Dench, John Stride, and Richard Burton.
- At the Oscars in 2002, Whoopi Goldberg introduced her, Will Smith, and Jada Pinkett Smith as “The Smith Family”.
- Completed filming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009) whilst undergoing radio-therapy as treatment for breast cancer.
- Performing in the London West End production of “The Lady from Dubuque”. [March 2007]
- Was a member of the Old Vic Company from 1959 to 1963, when the company was dissolved. It served as the basis for the new National Theatre being organized by Laurence Olivier, whom invited her to join. She gave a memorable performance as Desdemona opposite Olivier’s Othello at The National Theatre’s temporary home at the Old Vic theater building in 1964. Repeating the performance in the 1965 film made of that production, she won a Best Supporting Actress Academy Award nomination, her first of six Oscar nods.
- She was awarded the CH (Companion of Honour) in the 2014 Queen’s Birthday Honours List for her services to Drama.
- Not only does she frequently work with Judi Dench, but they have also both worked with each other’s children. Maggie worked with Finty Williams in Gosford Park (2001), while Dench worked with Toby Stephens in Die Another Day (2002).
- Gave birth to her 2nd child at age 34, a son Toby Stephens on April 21, 1969. Child’s father is her now late ex-1st husband, Robert Stephens.
- She replaced Liselotte Pulver in The V.I.P.s (1963) which became her first big success as a movie actress. (She earned a Golden Globe nomination for her fine performance.).
Personal Quotes by Maggie Smith
I believe that I am past my prime. I had reckoned on my prime lasting till I was at least fifty.- Maggie Smith
An actor is somebody who communicates someone else’s words and emotions to an audience. It’s not me. It’s what writers want me to be.- Maggie Smith
Chris and Toby are far too sane to be upset any more.- Maggie Smith
I tend to head for what’s amusing because a lot of things aren’t happy. But usually you can find a funny side to practically anything.- Maggie Smith
Listen, I must be 110 by now. Granny is going to kick the bucket at some point.- Maggie Smith