Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Matthew Broderick. Check it out!
A slight comic actor chiefly known for his boyish charm, Matthew Broderick was born on March 21, 1962 in New York City, to Patricia Broderick (née Biow), a playwright and painter, and James Broderick, an actor. His father had Irish and English ancestry, and his mother was from a Jewish family (from Germany and Poland).
Interesting Facts about Matthew Broderick
- He was considered for the role of Brad Hamilton in Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982) which went to Judge Reinhold.
- Friends with Kristin Chenoweth.
- He turned down the lead role of Maverick in Top Gun (1986), which went to Tom Cruise.
- Studied with a famed ‘Reiki master’ in Brooklyn for many years. Reiki is a Japanese alternative healing technique in which a master channels the universe’s ‘Reiki’ energy through touch, strengthening the patients own supply.
- Matthew and his family have a home in Donegal (Ireland) where where they vacation annually.
- He has appeared in two films that have been selected for the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being “culturally, historically or aesthetically” significant: Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986) and The Lion King (1994).
- He was originally cast as David Kahane in The Player (1992) when Sidney Lumet was directing.
- Was the first choice to play Alex P. Keaton on the sitcom Family Ties (1982), but he did not want to be committed to a long television run.
- (May 15, 2001) On Late Night with Conan O’Brien (1993), he denied a rumor that he bought Cary Grant’s bathtub, though he did sit in it.
- Loves to play ping-pong with his childhood best friend, Kenneth Lonergan.
- Was involved in a deadly car crash on vacation in Ireland with former girlfriend Jennifer Grey in which he was hurt and two passengers in the other car were killed.
- He turned down the role of Johnny Utah in Point Break (1991), which went to Keanu Reeves.
Personal Quotes by Matthew Broderick
I saw Al Pacino on the street once. That made me very nervous.- Matthew Broderick
When I see people who have to fly to a city every day with a laptop and stuff, that’s why – I don’t think I could manage that.- Matthew Broderick
It was not a good thing in my family to be a ‘personality.’- Matthew Broderick
You have to fight the green monster with your mind, not your fists.- Matthew Broderick
When I was a kid, I would sometimes go to Ireland with our family.- Matthew Broderick