Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Melissa McCarthy. Check it out!
Melissa McCarthy was born in Plainfield, Illinois, to Sandra and Michael McCarthy, and was raised on her family’s corn and soybean farm. She began her performing career as a stand-up comedian in New York where she appeared at the famous clubs, Stand Up New York and The Improv. She worked on her acting skills at The Actors Studio and appeared in many stage productions in the city before moving to Los Angeles in the late-1990s. She made a number of TV and movie appearances before making her big breakthrough as Sookie in Gilmore Girls (2000). A steady stream of comedy performances followed, leading to her starring role in the sitcom Mike & Molly (2010).
Interesting Facts about Melissa McCarthy
- After her first audition, she was told that she was “not the neighbor type”.
- Attended and graduated from St. Francis Academy (now Joliet Catholic Academy) in Joliet, Illinois.
- Her paternal grandparents, Michael McCarthy (born Michael Carty) and Ann O’Reilly, were immigrants, both of Irish origin, with roots in County Longford and County Armagh. Her mother is of Irish, German, and English ancestry.
- Nominated for the 2019 Golden Globe Award in the Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama category for her role as Lee Israel in Can You Ever Forgive Me? (2018), but lost to Glenn Close for The Wife (2017).
- Was the second-highest paid actress in 2016, behind Jennifer Lawrence.
- Returned to work 4 months after giving birth to her daughter Georgette to begin filming the 1st season of Mike & Molly (2010).
- Her favorite film is Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987).
- Returned to work 3 months after giving birth to her daughter Vivian to begin filming the 1st season of Samantha Who? (2007).
- Received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6927 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California on May 19, 2015.
- Before she became famous, she was hired as an extra in 1996 for The Preacher’s Wife (1996). On the day of filming, which took place inside a church, McCarthy was wearing a yellow sweater which was provided by the production. Director Penny Marshall, who was staging the background via monitors, noticed the sweater, which she found distracting as it was the same color yellow worn by the choir in the scene. Marshall took to the stage and asked the extra to leave due to the wardrobe clash. It wasn’t until several years later that Marshall found out that the extra was a then-unknown Melissa McCarthy. Marshall relays the story in a 2013 interview with the Archive of American Television.
- Fan of Billie Eilish whose mother Maggie Baird was her first improv teacher at The Groundlings.
- Worked as a costumer for a dance company in Colorado.
Personal Quotes by Melissa McCarthy
People don’t stop at a size 12. I feel like there’s a big thing missing where you can’t dress to your mood above a certain number.- Melissa McCarthy
I loved the playfulness of fashion. I think maybe that’s why I became an actress. You put on one outfit and feel one way, and another one will make you feel another way. Clothes are a wonderful tool.- Melissa McCarthy
I’ve never felt like I needed to change. I’ve always thought, ‘If you want somebody different, pick somebody else.’ But sure, criticism can sometimes still get to me. Some things are so malicious, they knock the wind out of you.- Melissa McCarthy
I want to be healthy.- Melissa McCarthy
I laugh my head off every day with my husband and my kids, who are mooning me and singing me songs.- Melissa McCarthy