Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Nicolas Cage. Check it out!
Nicolas Cage was born Nicolas Kim Coppola in Long Beach, California, the son of comparative literature professor August Coppola (whose brother is director Francis Ford Coppola) and dancer/choreographer Joy Vogelsang. He is of Italian (father) and Polish and German (mother) descent. Cage changed his name early in his career to make his own reputation, succeeding brilliantly with a host of classic, quirky roles by the late 1980s.
Interesting Facts about Nicolas Cage
- Attended the same high school as Angelina Jolie, Michael Klesic, Lenny Kravitz, David Schwimmer, Jonathan Silverman, Gina Gershon, Rhonda Fleming, Jackie Cooper, Rob Reiner, Antonio Sabato Jr., Pauly Shore, Michael Tolkin, Betty White, Corbin Bernsen, Elizabeth Daily, Albert Brooks and Crispin Glover.
- Became a father for the first time at age 26 when his girlfriend Christina Fulton gave birth to their son Weston Cage Coppola on December 26, 1990.
- One of the reasons he divorced Lisa Marie Presley was because her first husband Danny Keough lived in a guest house on their property and Cage found that highly inappropriate.
- Ate a real cockroach in the film Vampire’s Kiss (1988), this reportedly took three takes. He once said about the experience, “Every muscle in my body didn’t want to do it, but I did it anyway.”.
- One of three actors (with Lee Marvin [Cat Ballou (1965)] and Peter Sellers [Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)]) with an Oscar nomination for playing multiple characters in a film (in Adaptation. (2002), he plays two characters, Donald and Charlie). Marvin is the only one who actually won one for a double role.
- 2001: Announced that he is dating Lisa Marie Presley, daughter of Elvis Presley. They later married.
- Is an alumnus of the children’s theatre group MET2 along with Adam Lambert, Sofia Coppola, Matt McFarland, Kylie Tyndall, Keaton Tyndall, Vivian Bayubay, Nathan Norton, Derek Klena, Lauren Klena and Roma Watkins.
- Offered the role of Norman Osborn/Green Goblin in Spider-Man (2002), which went to Willem Dafoe.
- After his first film role (in Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)), he adopted the stage name of Cage, because he wanted to assure himself that any success he had was based on his own merits, not the fame of his uncle, Francis Ford Coppola.
- His father was of Italian descent. His maternal grandfather was of approximately three quarters German and one quarter British Isles (English, Scottish) ancestry. His maternal grandmother was of Polish descent.
- While making an appearance on Late Show with David Letterman (1993) for the film Knowing (2009), he mentioned that he is fascinated with hang-gliding.
- Nicolas Cage and wife, Alice Kim, secretly separated in early January 2016, after 11 years of marriage. They would have celebrated their 12th wedding anniversary in August 2016.
Personal Quotes by Nicolas Cage
The movies I cannot go without and that I watch annually are ‘A Clockwork Orange,’ ‘Scarface’ and ‘Fantasia.’- Nicolas Cage
When I was eight, I would look at the cover of the ‘Ghost Rider’ comic book in my little home in Long Beach, California, and I couldn’t get my head around how something that scary could also be good. To me it was my first philosophical awakening – ‘How is this possible, this duality?’- Nicolas Cage
I would like to find a way to embrace what Led Zeppelin did, in filmmaking.- Nicolas Cage
I wanted to make an image for myself as an outlaw type. A kind of rock ‘n’ roll sensibility.- Nicolas Cage
One of the pluses of getting older is you set some limits.- Nicolas Cage