Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Regina King. Check it out!
Regina King was born in Los Angeles, California, to Gloria, a special education teacher, and Thomas King, an electrician. She began her career in the television show 227 (1985), followed by a role in Boyz n the Hood (1991). She began to be recognized by a mainstream audience after her role as Cuba Gooding Jr.’s character’s wife in Jerry Maguire (1996). She co-starred in Enemy of the State (1998) as Will Smith’s character’s wife.
Interesting Facts about Regina King
- Credits Marla Gibbs as her favorite acting mentor/best friend.
- Her acting mentor is Marla Gibbs.
- Her ex-husband, Ian, served as vice-president of the now-defunct Warner Bros. Records-distributed Qwest Records.
- She has appeared in one film that has been selected for the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being “culturally, historically or aesthetically” significant: Boyz n the Hood (1991).
- Along with Marcia Gay Harden, one of two actresses to win the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress, without having earned a SAG Nomination since the award’s inception in 1995.
- 1/19/96: Had child, Ian Alexander Jr., with her ex-husband.
- While a guest on the National Public Radio comely quiz program “Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me!,” King said that her childhood celebrity crush was the actor Sam Elliott, particularly because of the scene in Road House when he pulls his hair back. When “Wait Wait” panelist Mo Rocca asked King who she thinks is “the hottest person on NPR,” her answer was Terry Gross.
- Opened an L.A. restaurant called Paio.
- She is the first African-American woman to direct a film selected for the Venice Film Festival.
- Her favourite movie is The Sandlot Kids (1993).
- Is a graduate of Westchester High School (class of 1988), as are Nia Long (class of 1989), singer Karyn White (class of 1984), director Tim Story (class of 1988), former NFL player Kevin Johnson (class of 1988), jazz pianist Eric Reed (class of 1988), the late Anissa Jones (class of 1976) and the late Phil Hartman (class of 1966). In addition, well-known civil rights attorney and radio talk show host Leo Terrell was an English teacher at the school.
- Was a bridesmaid in the wedding of actress Vivica A. Fox.
Personal Quotes by Regina King
My biggest challenge will be to play the totally submissive woman. It takes a toll on you when you play someone who’s far removed from your personality.- Regina King
I feel like ‘Leftovers’ is dealing with subject matter that’s kind of taboo when you’re talking about religion and faith. They found a way to make it mysterious and intriguing without making people upset.- Regina King
Especially in this industry, women challenge men much more now because we’re saying, ‘We can do it, too.’- Regina King
When you see all the suits in the room, everybody in the room has on suits, you know, the women, too. We’re not wearing dresses and chiffon and we’re not as fun as we used to be.- Regina King