Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Rosamund Pike. Check it out!
Born on January 27, 1979 in London, England, actress Rosamund Mary Elizabeth Pike is the only child of a classical violinist mother, Caroline (Friend), and an opera singer father, Julian Pike. Due to her parents’ work, she spent her early childhood traveling around Europe. Pike attended Badminton School in Bristol, England and began acting at the National Youth Theatre. While appearing in a National Youth Theatre production of “Romeo and Juliet”, she was first spotted and signed by an agent, although she continued her education at Wadham College, Oxford, where she read English Literature, eventually graduating with an upper second class honors degree.
Interesting Facts about Rosamund Pike
- Went to school in Bristol, England, UK.
- In 2014, the press gave her the moniker “Bond Girl to Gone Girl”, because of the similar characters she played in both the James Bond film Die Another Day (2002) and in Gone Girl (2014).
- One of her most memorable teen crushes was of Patrick Dempsey in J.F.K.: Reckless Youth (1993).
- She has said that “China and Chinese culture are very important for my family” and has given herself a Chinese name, Pei Chunhua because she thought the transliteration of her English name is long and not very feminine. She explained she chose the Chinese name because Pei is a traditional Chinese last name, Chun represents the idea of pure and honesty, a characteristic she’d like to embody, and Hua has the same sound as the character meaning flower, as Rosamund means rose of the world.
- Was considered to star as Grace Kelly in Grace of Monaco (2014).
- Can also speak French and German.
- Went to the same school as famous Irish writer Iris Murdoch.
- Returned to work 10 months after giving birth to her son Atom to begin filming A United Kingdom (2016).
- Gave birth to her 2nd child at age 35, a son Atom Uniacke at home on December 2, 2014. Child’s father is her long-term boyfriend, Robie Uniacke.
- She and Halle Berry are the only two actresses to play Bond Girls (who bedded Bond) in the official 007 franchise to receive Oscar nominations: Berry won for her performance in Monster’s Ball (2001), while Pike was nominated for her work in Gone Girl (2014). Kim Basinger, who starred in Never Say Never Again (1983), also went on to win the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for L.A. Confidential (1997), but her movie is considered non-canon in the 007 franchise. Both Pike and Berry were in the same Bond movie, Die Another Day (2002), and both were nominated in the Best Actress category. Oscar nominee Minnie Driver and Oscar Winner Judi Dench both appeared in the Bond film GoldenEye (1995), but neither played Bond Girls who bedded Bond.
- Was 5 months pregnant with her son Solo when she completed filming on Jack Reacher (2012).
- David Fincher had her undergo a rigorous boxing training with welterweight champion Holly Lawson for her role in Gone Girl (2014).
Personal Quotes by Rosamund Pike
I think, you know, as an actor we get these terribly sort of pretentious ideas in our heads. We try to take everything very seriously at first, you know, until we lighten up, we get onboard, and have a laugh.- Rosamund Pike
If you told my 13-year-old self that one day I’d be talking about how Tom Cruise and I had good chemistry, she’d think you were completely mad.- Rosamund Pike
I think when you are an only child, parents are more protective and fearful because they’ve only got one of you. I was not allowed to do a lot of things that, if I’d been, say, number three, I would have.- Rosamund Pike
Peter Chelsom and Edgar Wright are totally different directors and worlds apart, but both really accomplished directors who are certain of how they want to make a film.- Rosamund Pike
I think I was lucky in that I wasn’t one of those girls who are told they are pretty the whole time. I never got that. Nor did I ever obsess about my looks as a teenager.- Rosamund Pike