Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Sam Claflin. Check it out!
English actor Sam Claflin was born in Ipswich, England, to Susan A. (Clarke), a classroom assistant, and Mark J. Claflin, a finance officer. As a child, he was football-mad, often going to see his favorite team, Norwich City. He was a talented footballer, playing for Norwich schools at city level and Norfolk county level. However, he suffered two broken ankles and at 16 gave up thinking about a footballing career. He took up performing arts and a teacher from Costessey High School was impressed with his performance in a school play, and encouraged him to take up drama. He joined the local youth group at Norwich’s Theatre Royal and went on to gain entry to LAMDA drama school in 2006 graduating with a 3 year acting degree in 2009. He is the 3rd eldest of 4 boys, his older brothers Dan and Ben are not involved in drama but his younger brother Joe Claflin commenced at the same drama school in 2009 also doing a 3 year acting degree.
Interesting Facts about Sam Claflin
- Good friends with actor and model Douglas Booth, with whom he co-starred in The Riot Club (2014).
- Met his then-wife Laura Haddock when both auditioned unsuccessfully for roles in My Week with Marilyn (2011). He was after the part of Colin Clarke that went to Eddie Redmayne and Laura had vied for the role of Marilyn that went to Michelle Williams.
- He is a ninth cousin, once removed, of American actor Ashton Holmes (through shared “Claflin” ancestry).
- Graduated from the 3 Year BA (Hons) Acting course at LAMDA. [July 2009]
- His father is an accountant/financial manager and his mother is a school pupil welfare adviser.
- While he is of mostly English descent, part of his father’s family is American. His paternal grandfather was born in Connecticut, and his great-grandfather, Newton Cleveland Claflin, was from Revere, Massachusetts. Sam descends from Robert McClaughlin, a Scottish immigrant to Essex, MA in the 1600s (the surname was eventually shortened to simply “Claflin”).
- Sam and his wife Laura Haddock welcomed their first child in December 2015.
Personal Quotes by Sam Claflin
I have to prove myself in a lot of ways – as an actor, as a person, as someone who can handle pressure.- Sam Claflin
In England, when we’re at drama school, we spend a lot of time learning the craft from playwrights and stage actors, who are very well trained in the basics of acting because they need to get it right the first time – you can’t have second or third takes when you’re in front of a live audience, unlike in film.- Sam Claflin
When I was in high school, I was a bad singer. I mean, all my early acting was musical theater, and my first ever show was ‘Jesus Christ Superstar.’ Everyone’s familiar with it. I played priest number 3 and sang so out of tune that it’s not even funny.- Sam Claflin
There will be times when you just can’t seem to land an acting job, and you feel like giving up. Don’t! The only way to realise that dream is to keep working hard for it.- Sam Claflin
Johnny Depp gave me the best advice. He said, ‘Keep your feet on the ground. Stay grounded. Remember where you came from.’- Sam Claflin