Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Steve Carell. Check it out!
Steve Carell, one of America’s most versatile comics, was born Steven John Carell on August 16, 1962, in Concord, Massachusetts. He is the son of Harriet Theresa (Koch), a psychiatric nurse, and Edwin A. Carell, an electrical engineer. His mother was of Polish descent and his father of Italian and German ancestry (Steve’s grandfather had changed the surname from “Caroselli” to “Carell”). Steve was educated at The Fenn School, an all-boys private school in Concord, Massachusetts, then at Middlesex School in Concord. After graduating from Denison University in Granville, Ohio, he moved to Chicago where he taught an improvisational comedy class and performed with The Second City troupe, alongside Stephen Colbert.
Interesting Facts about Steve Carell
- Attended and graduated from Denison University in Granville, Ohio (1984).
- Was once a reporter for The Daily Show (1996).
- Is a member of what the media refers to as the Frat Pack, along with Jack Black, Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, Will Ferrell, Owen Wilson and Luke Wilson. The Frat Pack name is a reference to the film Old School (2003), featuring Vaughn, Ferrell and Wilson, due to the wide number of films featuring the seven actors. Carell’s Frat Pack films include Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004), Bewitched (2005) and Melinda and Melinda (2004).
- Steve Carell references the same quote by Abraham Lincoln in two films. In Dinner for Schmucks “Our countries are not enemies, they are friends” from Lincoln’s “We are not enemies, but friends,” and in Irresistible “…and appeal to our better angels” which he attributes to Lincoln yet misquotes from Lincoln’s “by the better angels of our nature.”.
- Was on three failed sitcoms before he starred on NBC’s version of the sitcom The Office (2005).
- Has the rare distinction of being in two movies that opened on the same day in the United States – Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004) and Sleepover (2004) (July 9, 2004).
- Worked for a brief period at a post office in Massachusetts where he delivered mail using his own car since the post office did not have mail carrier vehicles. When he resigned from the position to move to Chicago, for months afterward he continued to find undelivered mail under his car seats.
- He was nominated for a 1994 Joseph Jefferson Award for Actor in a Revue for “Are You Now or Have You Ever Been Mellow?”, at the Second City Theatre in Chicago, Illinois.
- Is one of 115 people invited to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) in 2007.
- Denison Univerisity is not only the alma mater of Steve Carell and Jennifer Garner, it is also the alma mater of Hal Holbrook, John Davidson, John Schuck and Tom Cotter.
- Worked the overnight shift in a Store 24 in Maynard, Massachusetts, and takes many of his characters from this experience.
- Has two children: Elisabeth Anne Carell (b. May 2001) and John Carell (b. June 2004).
Personal Quotes by Steve Carell
Nothing to me feels as good as laughing incredibly hard.- Steve Carell
For me, at least, all of my career goals, all of my focus, everything just shifted and the importance was my children, and that’s where all the joy came from as well.- Steve Carell
In an enclosed space, a camel’s breath can change the atmosphere of the room. Not only just the smell, they literally seem to change the atmospheric pressure. It’s so disgusting. It’s like they have eight stomachs each more rancid then the next and it just comes out of their mouth.- Steve Carell
Your brain, like your tongue, is a muscle. Practicing thinking by yourself really helps develop your brain, which you need throughout your day. I like to practice my thinking in a darkened room, alone.- Steve Carell
I was sort of traumatized by girls in the third grade. Because there was a girl in my third grade class I had a crush on. I bought her a box of Valentine’s Day chocolate. And I put it in her cubby with a note that said something like, ‘I am deeply in love with you, Your Secret Admirer.’ And I didn’t sign my name.- Steve Carell