Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Tom Selleck. Check it out!
Thomas William Selleck is an American actor and film producer, known for his starring role as Hawaii-based private investigator “Thomas Magnum” on the 1980s television series, Magnum, P.I. (1980).
Interesting Facts about Tom Selleck
- Turned down an offer to have a cameo in the Magnum P.I. movie.
- Tom’s father had English, Scottish, Irish, and a smaller amount of German, ancestry. Tom’s paternal grandmother was from Ontario, Canada, while all four of Tom’s maternal great-grandparents were English immigrants.
- Father-in-law of Annabelle Selleck.
- First TV appearance was as a college senior on The Dating Game (1965) in 1967 and then a second time (date unknown at this time). Incredibly, he lost both times. Soon after, he appeared in TV commercials for products such as Pepsi-Cola.
- Praised his mentor and friend, James Garner, as a television actor.
- While preparing for Mr. Baseball (1992), he joined the Detroit Tigers in 1992 for spring training. He actually took an at-bat (as a pinch hitter) in a game against the Cincinnati Reds, facing Reds’ pitcher Tim Layana. Selleck ended up striking out after fouling away half a dozen pitches.
- Played competitive volleyball with the Outrigger Canoe Club and was a three-time All American selection, twice winning the over-35 division in the National Championships.
- In the early 1990s, Selleck shot a commercial for the conservative National Review. But, in 1992, he made a $1,000 donation to the presidential bid of Democratic Senator Paul Tsongas. Five years later, New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd reported that Republicans were then urging Selleck to run for the US. Senate in California (a story Selleck quickly shot down). In 1999, he filmed an advertisement for the National Rifle Association. An actor friend said of Selleck: “He’s not a Republican … [H]e’s an independent”. Since then he has kept his political profile low.
- Is the only actor to appear in every episode of Magnum, P.I. (1980).
- Although Selleck plays Len Cariou’s son in Blue Bloods (2010), Cariou is only six years Selleck’s senior in real life.
- In February 2009, Selleck joined the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund as national spokesman for the new Education Center being built on the National Mall.
- While a member of the California National Guard, Selleck attended the California Military Academy and was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant. Later, he appeared on recruitment posters for the California National Guard and the California Military Academy.
Personal Quotes by Tom Selleck
If you buy an expensive thing and you never use it, I don’t think there’s a point to it.- Tom Selleck
I don’t think you should do something just to prove to an audience that you can do it, that’s way out of your wheelhouse.- Tom Selleck
My first priority is time with my family.- Tom Selleck
I think of myself as an actor first, not a sex symbol. Do I think I’m sexy? No, that’s someone else’s judgment, and I honestly don’t think you can try to be sexy and really succeed.- Tom Selleck
People tracking your life and photographing you anywhere you go, that can make you crazy.- Tom Selleck