Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Tony Todd. Check it out!
Perhaps best known for his chilling performance as “Candyman”, the charismatic 6′ 5″ actor Tony Todd has consistently turned in compelling performances since his debut in the fantasy film Sleepwalk (1986). Born in Washington, D.C., Todd spent two years on a scholarship at the University of Connecticut, which, in turn, led to a scholarship from the renowned Eugene O’Neill National Theatre Institute. It proved to be the foundation for intense stints at the Hartman Conservatory in Stamford, Connecticut and the Trinity Square Repertory Theatre Conservatory in Providence, Rhode Island. Todd appeared in dozens of classical and many experimental plays, yet still managed to find time to teach playwriting to high school students in the Hartford public school system.
Interesting Facts about Tony Todd
- Has played characters on three of the Star Trek television series: Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987) (as Kurn, brother of Worf), Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1993) (as Kurn and as an older Jake Sisko, son of Captain Benjamin Sisko), and Star Trek: Voyager (1995) (as an Alpha Hirogen, a race of intergalactic “big-game” hunters).
- He is a serious supporter of American Military Veterans.
- Though young bees that were thought unable to sting were used in Candyman, he was still stung 26 times during filming.
- Won the role of Ben in Night of the Living Dead (1990) out of many contenders, including Laurence Fishburne, Ving Rhames and Eriq La Salle.
- Has made guest appearances on all three of the longest running North American science fiction series: The X Files (1993), Stargate SG-1 (1997) and Smallville (2001).
- Was considered for the role of Dr. Peter Benton on ER (1994), which went to Eriq La Salle.
- No relation to his “Lean On Me” co-star Beverly Todd, despite a popular misconception.
- His stage work includes “12 Angry Men”, in which he portrayed Juror #12 (The Snob).
- Lives in Long Beach, California.
- Brother of Monique Dupree.
- Best known as the hook-handed Candyman from the Candyman (1992) films.
- Was considered for the role of Dormammu in Doctor Strange.
Personal Quotes by Tony Todd
Actors are a funny lot. Sometimes they’re not satisfied with where they are. I include myself.- Tony Todd
I did a film in Nairobi, Kenya called ‘The Last Elephant,’ with John Lithgow, Isabella Rosallini, and James Earl Jones. So I was in seventh heaven, alright? About a year later I get a call from my agent and he says they want to see you for this project called Candyman. I thought he was joking so I hung up.- Tony Todd
There was a period where I did do a lot of television, but the luck of the draw worked in my favour, as they were all shows that were either fan-favourites or cultist things.- Tony Todd
So I grew up watching film noir, you know the classic stuff. William Holden, Richard Widmark, Robert Mitchum, all those.- Tony Todd
In my mind, I’m not scary at all. I’m channeling my inner Cary Grant!- Tony Todd