Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Dakota Johnson. Check it out!
Dakota Mayi Johnson is an American actress and fashion model. She was born in Austin, Texas, and is the daughter of actors Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith. Her maternal grandmother is actress Tippi Hedren.
Interesting Facts about Dakota Johnson
- Niece of actress Tracy Griffith and production designer Clay A. Griffith.
- She did not use a body double for any scenes in Fifty Shades of Grey (2015) except for one BDSM scene. A double was used for a scene involving her character Anastasia being whipped with a belt. Johnson did not want to participate in the scene to avoid personal injury and to avoid her body being marked in any way.
- In 2020, she became the first female director in her family when she co-directed with Cory Bailey the music video to Coldplay’s song “Cry Cry Cry” featuring her paramour Chris Martin.
- Several people have chosen to work repeatedly with Dakota because of her beauty, talent, and professionalism: producing team of Michael De Luca and Dana Brunetti(The Social Network (2010) and the “Fifty Shades” trilogy); actor Johnny Depp (21 Jump Street (2012) and Black Mass (2015)), actor Nicholas Braun(Date and Switch (2014), In a Relationship (2015), How to Be Single (2016)), writer Dana Fox(Ben and Kate (2012), How to Be Single (2016)), actor Jason Segel (The Five-Year Engagement (2012) and The Friend (2019)), actor Armie Hammer (The Social Network (2010) and Wounds (2019)), actor Max Minghella(The Social Network (2010) and the short film “Just a Minute” (2015)), Nick Offerman (21 Jump Street (2012), Date and Switch (2014), Bad Times at the El Royale (2018)), the team of director Luca Guadagnino-writer David Kajganich-actress Tilda Swinton (A Bigger Splash (2015) and Suspiria (2018)).
- She auditioned in front of Judd Apatow for a role in HBO’s Girls (2012) but was not selected. He later recommended her for a small role as a neurotic, sex-obsessed girlfriend named Audrey in The Five-Year Engagement (2012), which he produced. (Her performance as Audrey caught the attention of Jake Kasdan who cast her as a last-minute replacement in Ben and Kate (2012).) She became friends with Apatow’s wife Leslie Mann when they worked together in the film How to Be Single (2016). In fact, it was Mann who presented Dakota with both the Calvin Klein Spotlight Award in 2015 and the People’s Choice Award in 2016.
- She appeared in 21 Jump Street (2012), the film version of the hit TV series 21 Jump Street (1987). Her aunt, Tracy Griffith, had appeared as a guest star, in 1988, on the series.
- She has expressed a desire to play the DC Comics character Selina Kyle/Catwoman.
- With her Razzie Award win for Worst Actress (for Fifty Shades of Grey) in 2016, she became a second generation Worst Actress winner. As her mother Melanie Griffith won Worst Actress in 1993 for both Shining Through (1992) and A Stranger Among Us (1992).
- Attended the New Roads School in Santa Monica, CA, for three years.
- She did not tell anyone about being involved in the auditioning process for the role of Anastasia Steele in Fifty Shades of Grey (2015). She has said that if the project fell through or she wasn’t selected, she didn’t want to have to explain herself or the process repeatedly. After she was cast, she couldn’t tell anyone for weeks as the studio prepared an official casting announcement.
- She is the third generation to be involved with the Golden Globes, as she was Miss Golden Globe in 2006, is the daughter of Don Johnson (Golden Globe winner for Miami Vice (1984)) and Melanie Griffith (Golden Globe winner for Working Girl (1988)), and granddaughter of Tippi Hedren (Golden Globe winner for Most Promising Newcomer, 1964).
- Daughter of Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith.
Personal Quotes by Dakota Johnson
I grew up around really not-normal people. My family is general Hollywood. They’re all artists; they’re creative people who are advocates for expressing themselves. But I also have to say I’m not impressed with Hollywood.- Dakota Johnson
The idea of being at home and picking up kids from school and cooking dinner and then the husband comes home – there’s something that seems really nice to me ’cause I never had that growing up. And it seems so enticing. But in my mind, I’m like, ‘Well, I’ll just play that in a movie and go about my own life, bizarre as it is.’- Dakota Johnson
Sometimes your parents are the ones with the biggest mouths of all time.- Dakota Johnson
I have bizarre anxiety about being in a city – I have no idea who I am or where I am.- Dakota Johnson
I’d watch my parents work and think, ‘Yeah, I’m going to do that.’ It wasn’t even a thing. It’s the only thing I know how to do.- Dakota Johnson