Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Dwayne Johnson. Check it out!
Dwayne Douglas Johnson, also known as The Rock, was born on May 2, 1972 in Hayward, California. He is the son of Ata Johnson (born Feagaimaleata Fitisemanu Maivia) and professional wrestler Rocky Johnson (born Wayde Douglas Bowles). His father, from Amherst, Nova Scotia, Canada, is black (of Black Nova Scotian descent), and his mother is of Samoan background (her own father was Peter Fanene Maivia, also a professional wrestler). While growing up, Dwayne traveled around a lot with his parents and watched his father perform in the ring. During his high school years, Dwayne began playing football and he soon received a full scholarship from the University of Miami, where he had tremendous success as a football player. In 1995, Dwayne suffered a back injury which cost him a place in the NFL. He then signed a three-year deal with the Canadian League but left after a year to pursue a career in wrestling.
Interesting Facts about Dwayne Johnson
- He was offered the role of Cade Yeager in Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014), but he declined, in order to star in Hercules (2014). The role went to Mark Wahlberg.
- Before he was called “The Rock,” his football teammates at the University of Miami called him “Dewey” Johnson. Even in interviews today, his teammates still refer to him as Dewey. They apparently first heard the nickname when Johnson’s parents came to visit and his mom called him by that name in front of everyone.
- Son of Ata Johnson and Rocky Johnson.
- Second highest paid actor of 2017, earning $65 million.
- In a YouTube video by Joe Weller, Dwayne Johnson was asked to talk about his first kiss. He said that his first kiss lasted eight minutes with a teacher when he was in fourth grade.
- Is the third youngest superstar to hold the IC Championship. Jeff Hardy is the youngest at 23, and Randy Orton is the second youngest, also at 23, only a few months older than Hardy.
- In 2006, Johnson told NPR he’d been arrested “probably eight or nine times” by the time he was 17. He said his offenses were fighting and theft but “that’s just what I got caught for.” Those experiences led him to take the role in the movie “Gridiron Gang,” in which he played a football coach who mentored troubled teens.
- Friends with Kevin Hart.
- Is a published author.
- In 2003, Johnson got a large tattoo that covers much of his chest and left arm. The tattoo is a partial Pe’a, which is an intricate tattoo males have traditionally gotten in Samoan culture. Johnson said his tattoo took 60 hours to complete and that it tells the story of his ancestors and his own life. It looks similar to the tattoo that Johnson’s character, Maui, has in the Disney film “Moana,”.
- Not only was his father, Rocky Johnson, a wrestler, but his grandfather, three uncles, and six cousins (one adopted) have been in wrestling too.
- His last match in the WWE before leaving to film Welcome to the Jungle (2003) was against Bill Goldberg at the 2003 Backlash Pay-Per-View.
Personal Quotes by Dwayne Johnson
I found that with depression, one of the most important things you could realise is that you’re not alone.Dwayne Johnson
I was raised by strong women, and that DNA is in my daughter and wife.Dwayne Johnson
Not only do I think being nice and kind is easy but being kind, in my opinion, is important.Dwayne Johnson
The single most powerful thing I can be is to be myself.Dwayne Johnson
Check your ego at the door. The ego can be the great success inhibitor. It can kill opportunities, and it can kill success.Dwayne Johnson