Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Emily Browning. Check it out!
Australian actress Emily Browning was born in 1988 in Melbourne, Australia, to Shelley and Andrew Browning. She has two younger brothers. Her start in acting came after a classmate’s father, involved in the acting business, noticed her “acting all ditsy” in a school play. Emily found an agent and was soon filming on location for the Hallmark TV-movie, The Echo of Thunder (1998). She received more roles from there, including parts in The Man Who Sued God (2001), opposite Billy Connolly, and Ned Kelly (2003), opposite Heath Ledger and Orlando Bloom. In that film, she had to hug Heath Ledger, and she said that all of her friends, who went to see the film, at the same time sent her a barrage of text messages about how lucky she was! Emily says she tries to avoid “cheesy” movies, and her big break came when she was on a press tour in LA for Ghost Ship (2002), that was filmed in Australia and released in America. In the same year, she won an Australian Film Institute Award for Best Young Actress, and was nominated for the same award, the next year. Emily received some scripts when she was in LA and sent in a video audition for A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004). She received a call and was asked to come to LA for a proper audition, which won her the part. She spent months in LA filming, for the second time acting opposite Billy Connolly. Emily said she enjoyed the experience of making a big budget film in America, and says that although she’s not sure what is coming next, she’s hoping to do some more Australian work.
Interesting Facts about Emily Browning
- Ranked #4 in the 2011 Independent Critics List of the 100 Most Beautiful Faces.
- Even though she turned down the lead in Twilight (2008) she worked with the director and author of the film, later in her career. She worked with director on Catherine Hardwicke’ on Plush (2013) and with Stephanie Meyer on The Host (2013), the adaptation of the novel that Meyer produced.
- Took a three-year acting break, starting in 2005, to finish school in Australia. She will return in the remake of A Tale of Two Sisters (2004), with Arielle Kebbel, Elizabeth Banks and David Strathairn.
- She was considered for the role of Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad (2016). The role eventually went to Margot Robbie.
- She auditioned for title role in ‘Carrie (2013)’ and the role of Katniss Everdeen in ‘The Hunger Games (2012)’.
- Was cast as “Babydoll” in Sucker Punch (2011), after Amanda Seyfried was forced to drop out due to scheduling problems.
- Won the coveted role of Violet in A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004) after her agent gave her a pile of scripts for which to submit video auditions. She was phoned by the “Lemony Snicket” director Brad Silberling and asked to come to L.A. for an audition, which won her the part.
- Music video: Appeared in the music video “Light Surrounding You” by Evermore. 
- Says she learned an American accent from watching Sesame Street (1969) as a child.
- Ranked #28 in “The Annual Independent Critics List of the 100 Most Beautiful Famous Faces From Around the World” for 2010.
- Has her nose and belly button pierced.
- For her role in ‘Sucker Punch (2011)’, she dyed her hair platinum blonde and did months of weight, combat and weapons training. She had to cut her hair very short afterwards as the dye left it badly damaged.
Personal Quotes by Emily Browning
I’m a massive daydreamer. I’m constantly lost within my own fantasies and my own thoughts personally, and I think maybe that is sort of represented in what we do for a living, the fact that we make believe everything and we escape into these other characters for a living.- Emily Browning
I prefer to make a film that people have a really intense reaction to than have a film that people feel ambivalent about.- Emily Browning
The thing is, I actually feel a lot more comfortable at school just bumming around with my friends than I do at Hollywood parties. But then, I guess you’re just never happy with what you have.- Emily Browning
I can cry at the drop of a hat. I’ve always found that easier than laughing in films.- Emily Browning
I’m into video games, but only real specific lame video games.- Emily Browning