Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Fran Drescher. Check it out!
Francine Joy Drescher was born on September 30, 1957 in Flushing, Queens, New York, to Sylvia Drescher, a bridal consultant, and Mort Drescher, a naval systems analyst. Fran, as she is called, attended Hillcrest High School in New York with another now-famous name, Ray Romano. She was a studious girl and was quite popular. In fact, at age fifteen, she’d met the man she thought she’d spend the rest of her life with. That man was Peter Marc Jacobson. Her first break was in the unforgettable movie, Saturday Night Fever (1977) with John Travolta. She continued to play small roles in movies, until she came up with the idea for The Nanny (1993). She was visiting a friend in England and came up with the plot line. The Nanny (1993) became an instant success, and so did Fran. Since then, she has been in films such as The Beautician and the Beast (1997) (which she also produced) and Picking Up the Pieces (2000) co-starring Woody Allen. Fran has since divorced her husband Jacobson. She is a cancer survivor and an inspiration to women everywhere.
Interesting Facts about Fran Drescher
- Best friend of Yvonne Sciò.
- Earlier in her career, in an effort to get more roles as an actress, she once went to a professional to lose her nasal voice and thick New York accent. She was very successful in learning how to speak “normal”, but couldn’t get any work that way! By that point, people only wanted to hire if she used the “funny” voice. Meanwhile, it was the voice that made her famous years later.
- She has appeared in two films that have been selected for the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being “culturally, historically or aesthetically” significant: Saturday Night Fever (1977) and This Is Spinal Tap (1984).
- Danced with John Travolta in “Saturday Night Fever”.
- Is a rape survivor. She along with her then-husband, Peter Marc Jacobson, and a friend were attacked in her home during a home invasion in January 1985.
- Is from an Ashkenazi Jewish family (from Ukraine, Russia, and Romania).
- Close friends with her The Nanny (1993) co-stars Charles Shaughnessy. and Lauren Lane.
- Can speak some Spanish.
- Famously bumped into the then-president of CBS, Jeff Sagansky, on a plane trip to Paris. She convinced him to hear her and her husband Peter Marc Jacobson’s ideas for a television show. After impressing him with her persistence, intelligence and charm, The Nanny (1993) pilot was filmed less than a year later.
- Fran is currently starring Off-Broadway opposite actor Eric McCormack in Neil LaBute’s “Some Girls”. [May 2006]
- The 1960s model Twiggy is a friend of hers and it was her interaction with Twiggy’s children that was used as the basis for The Nanny (1993).
- Adeline Drescher’s cousin.
Personal Quotes by Fran Drescher
I’m very involved in the writing on every level.- Fran Drescher
Life is precious and there’s not a lot of room for anger.- Fran Drescher
I’ve gone very far, far away, but my character keeps me close to home.- Fran Drescher
Every time you go to the doctor and get a good report, the odds keep staking more in your favour.- Fran Drescher
People lived in the same apartments for years. You’d meet a group of kids in kindergarten, and you’d still be with them in high school. No one ever left the neighborhood.- Fran Drescher