Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Helen Mirren. Check it out!
Dame Helen Mirren was born in Queen Charlotte’s Hospital in West London. Her mother, Kathleen Alexandrina Eva Matilda (Rogers), was from a working-class English family, and her father, Vasiliy Petrovich Mironov, was a Russian-born civil servant, from Kuryanovo, whose own father was a diplomat. Mirren attended St. Bernards High School for girls, where she would act in school productions. After high school, she began her acting career in theatre working in many productions including in the West End and Broadway.
Interesting Facts about Helen Mirren
- She turned down the role of Catherine Earnshaw Linton in Wuthering Heights (1970). She was delighted when her friend Anna Calder-Marshall got the part.
- Placed her hand and footprint in cement in front of Graumann Chinese theatre on March 28, 2011.
- She auditioned for the role of Neely O’Hara in Valley of the Dolls (1967) that went to Patty Duke.
- Daughter of Vasily Mironoff and Kathleen Rogers.
- Born on exactly the same date as Linda “Nova” Harrison (of *Planet of the Apes* fame).
- Was the 130th actress to receive an Academy Award; she won the Best Actress Oscar for The Queen (2006) at The 79th Annual Academy Awards (2007) on February 25, 2007.
- She was considered for the role of Amy Sumner in Straw Dogs (1971) that went to Susan George.
- Is one of 13 actresses to have won the Academy Award, BAFTA Award, Critics’ Choice Award, Golden Globe Award and SAG Award. The others in chronological order are Julia Roberts for Erin Brockovich (2000), Renée Zellweger for Cold Mountain (2003), Reese Witherspoon for Walk the Line (2005), Jennifer Hudson for Dreamgirls (2006), Kate Winslet for The Reader (2008), Mo’Nique for Precious (2009), Natalie Portman for Black Swan (2010), Octavia Spencer for The Help (2011), Anne Hathaway for Les Misérables (2012), Cate Blanchett for Blue Jasmine (2013), Patricia Arquette for Boyhood (2014) and Julianne Moore for Still Alice (2014).
- She named Anna Magnani as her acting idol.
- Release of her book, “In the Frame: My Life in Words and Pictures”. [March 2008]
- She owns houses in Los Angeles, London, and the south of France.
- She is quoted as being a naturist, telling the Radio Times “I’m a naturist at heart. I love being on beaches where everyone is naked. Ugly people, beautiful people, old people, whatever. It’s so unisexual and so liberating.” In 2004, she was named “Naturist of the Year” by British Naturism. She said: “Many thanks to British Naturism for this great honour. I do believe in naturism and am my happiest on a nude beach with people of all ages and races!”.
Personal Quotes by Helen Mirren
Where you grew up becomes a big part of who you are for the rest of your life. You can’t run away from that. Well, sometimes the running away from it is what makes you who you are.- Helen Mirren
It was never my intention to marry anybody. Economics are basically the only reason to get married, but I’m very glad I did it.- Helen Mirren
The great marriages are partnerships. It can’t be a great marriage without being a partnership.- Helen Mirren
I’m under the impression that this notion of decency is disappearing from our society where conflicts are made worse on cinema and on television, where people are nasty and cruel on the Internet and where, in general, everybody seems to be very angry.- Helen Mirren
It’s great to be queen!- Helen Mirren