Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Hilary Swank. Check it out!
Hilary was born in Lincoln, Nebraska, to Judith Kay (Clough), a secretary, and Stephen Michael Swank, who served in the National Guard and was also a traveling salesman. Her maternal grandmother, Frances Martha Dominguez, was of Mexican descent, and her other roots include German, English, and Scottish. During her early childhood, her family moved to Spokane, Washington, and when she was six, to Bellingham, Washington.
Interesting Facts about Hilary Swank
- Hilary’s 20th birthday party was a 1974 themed party and was held in Hollywood at The Crush Bar.
- Although she was naturally athletic from high school, she totally changed physically to play Maggie in Million Dollar Baby (2004). She gained nearly 20 pounds, becoming so buff that her former clothes are still too small for her.
- Named one of People magazine’s 50 Most Beautiful People in 2000, 2004 and 2005.
- She has appeared in one film that has been selected for the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being “culturally, historically or aesthetically” significant: Boys Don’t Cry (1999).
- Mother Judy Swank moved with her to Los Angeles at age 16, where, impoverished for a while, they lived out of their car.
- Ex-sister-in-law of Rob Lowe and makeup artist Sheryl Berkoff.
- Awarded an Emery Award from the Hetrick-Martin Institute for her role as Brandon Teena in Boys Don’t Cry (1999), for which Swank won the first of her two Academy Awards (Oscars) for Best Actress. [November 2006]
- Received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6925 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California on January 8, 2007.
- Replaced Sandra Bullock as Maggie Fitzgerald in Million Dollar Baby (2004) after Bullock dropped out due to other commitments.
- Her maternal grandmother, Frances Martha Dominguez, was born in California, to a family of Mexican ancestry (with Spanish and Native American roots). Her other ancestry is English and German, with smaller amounts of Northern Irish (Scots-Irish), Swiss-German, Dutch, Scottish and Welsh. Her patrilineal line traces back to Balthasar Swank, who was born in Wuerttemberg, Germany, c. 1716. Her paternal grandmother was born in England.
- Was originally cast as Rachel in Something Borrowed (2011), but after dropping out of the project, Ginnifer Goodwin was cast instead.
- Announced that she and her husband Chad Lowe are separating after 8 years of marriage. [January 2006]
Personal Quotes by Hilary Swank
I don’t think people should have boundaries put on them, by themselves or society or another gender, because it’s our birthright to experience life in whatever way we feel best suits us.- Hilary Swank
Oh, the Places You’ll Go!,’ by Dr. Seuss, is still one of my favorite books ever.- Hilary Swank
I can remember crying on the set of Beverly Hills 90210 after being released from the show a few years ago.- Hilary Swank
There’s so much more to life than looking a certain way.- Hilary Swank
One of the great things about my job is I get to do all of these things that I may not experience had I not been an actor.- Hilary Swank