Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about M. Night Shyamalan. Check it out!
Born in Puducherry, India, and raised in the posh suburban Penn Valley area of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, M. Night Shyamalan is a film director, screenwriter, producer, and occasional actor, known for making movies with contemporary supernatural plots.
Interesting Facts about M. Night Shyamalan
- His Wide Awake (1998) was one of the year’s lowest-grossing, least- profitable films; in contrast, The Sixth Sense (1999) was 1999’s No.2 box-office phenomenon, surpassed only by Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace (1999).
- The music video to Panic! at the Discotheque’s “LA Devotee” features a Crop Circle and a figure with an animal mask wearing a red cloak.
- His three supernatural thrillers, The Sixth Sense (1999), Unbreakable (2000), and Signs (2002), grossed over $1.3 billion worldwide.
- Turned down the opportunity to direct the Harry Potter franchise on three separate occasions. He was first offered Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (2001) on a recommendation from friend Steven Spielberg (who had previously been considered to direct), but turned it down due to post-production commitments on his own film Unbreakable (2000). After the massive success of his own film, Signs (2002), Shyamalan was once again offered Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) and later Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005), turning down the former to direct his own project The Village (2004) and the latter to work on his since aborted adaptation of the Yann Martel novel The Life of Pi.
- Became the highest paid screenwriter in Hollywood when Disney gave him $5 million to write Signs (2002).
- His parents, wife, and 9 other family members are MDs and/or Ph.Ds.
- Said in the bonus disk that the movie Unbreakable (2000) was made from what started as only the first third of the original script. He said he felt no connection to the last two thirds of the text and decided to discard them.
- He and Dan Aykroyd, are the only two men to direct themselves in performances that “won” them a Razzie Award for Worst Supporting Actor. Shyamalan “won” the award for, and also directed, the film Lady in the Water (2006).
- Favorite film of all time is Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981).
- Father of Saleka Shyamalan.
- Graduated from New York University.
- Maintains his offices and screening room in a converted barn in suburban Philadelphia.
Personal Quotes by M. Night Shyamalan
Are you in my dream too?- M. Night Shyamalan
I like to write in a shroud of secrecy because I have to keep finding ways to scare myself.- M. Night Shyamalan
Anime is intended to have ambiguous features. That’s part of the art form.- M. Night Shyamalan
I don’t like to chase an audience. You can smell when someone is chasing an audience and it’s not good.- M. Night Shyamalan
I have a naive outlook on life. That’s who I am.- M. Night Shyamalan