Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Meg Ryan. Check it out!
Blond-haired, blue-eyed with an effervescent personality, Meg Ryan was born Margaret Mary Emily Hyra in Fairfield, Connecticut, to Susan (Duggan), an English teacher and one-time actress, and Harry Hyra, a math teacher. She is of Ruthenian, Polish, Irish, and German ancestry (“Hyra” is a Ruthenian surname, and “Ryan” is her maternal grandmother’s maiden name). Meg graduated from Bethel high school, Bethel in June 1979. Moving to New York, she attended New York University where she majored in journalism. To earn extra money while working on her degree, Meg went into acting using her new name Meg Ryan. In 1981, she had her big screen debut with a brief appearance as Candice Bergen’s daughter in George Cukor’s last film Rich and Famous (1981).
Interesting Facts about Meg Ryan
- “Meg Ryan” is an anagram of “Germany”. When she registered with the Screen Actors Guild as a teenager, Meg used her maternal grandmother’s maiden name, “Ryan”, as her stage surname.
- She was a member of the jury at the Festival International de Cannes in 2003.
- She was in consideration for the part of Mia Wallace in Pulp Fiction (1994) but Uma Thurman, who went on to receive a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination for her performance, was cast instead.
- Her first film audition was for the role played by Brooke Shields in Endless Love (1981).
- In 1998, she was ranked #59 on Entertainment Weekly’s most powerful people in Hollywood.
- She turned down the Nicole Kidman role in To Die For (1995).
- In April 1998, she was voted most favorite female movie star by the readers and online users of the “People Weekly Magazine”.
- On at least one movie her contract stipulated that extras would not look her in the eye.
- She and her good friend Tom Hanks have been co-stars in three movies as love interests: Sleepless in Seattle (1993), Joe Versus the Volcano (1990) and You’ve Got Mail (1998).
- She turned down the role of “Vivian Ward” in Pretty Woman (1990). Julia Roberts was later given the role.
- Has appeared in commercials for Burger King, Campbells Soup and a toothpaste ad.
- In 2003, she made an infamous appearance on the BBC’s top talk show Parkinson (1971) to promote In the Cut (2003), which has gone down in British television history and was described by host Michael Parkinson as his “most difficult TV moment”.
Personal Quotes by Meg Ryan
I don’t think I’ll ever be a producer who’s into taking the meetings and fighting the big fights with studios. I really don’t like that part. I’m much more interested in the material.- Meg Ryan
I wouldn’t have thought of myself as a person who could guide anybody and then it turned out that I can.- Meg Ryan
Motherhood changed me because it is so fundamental what you’re doing for another person. And you are able to do even though it takes a lot.- Meg Ryan
Neither of us, me nor Dennis, is cavalier about a breakup. We both behaved very honorably.- Meg Ryan
Acting is what I do. It’s not what I solely define myself as.- Meg Ryan