Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Michael Douglas. Check it out!
An actor with over forty years of experience in theatre, film, and television, Michael Douglas branched out into independent feature production in 1975 with the Academy Award-winning One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975). Since then, as a producer and as an actor-producer, he has shown an uncanny knack for choosing projects that reflect changing trends and public concerns. Over the years, he has been involved in such controversial and politically influential motion pictures as One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975), The China Syndrome (1979) and Traffic (2000), and such popular films as Fatal Attraction (1987) and Romancing the Stone (1984).
Interesting Facts about Michael Douglas
- Was named to Quigley Publications’ Top 10 Poll of Money-Making Stars six times between 1985 and 1995, hitting a high of #2 in 1987. Surprising, despite a career that has spanned seven decades, his father, Kirk Douglas, never made the list, the annual poll of movie exhibitors that ranks the top stars in terms of box-office drawing power.
- As of 2014, has appeared in two films that were nominated for the Best Picture Oscar: Fatal Attraction (1987) and Traffic (2000). And produced Best Picture winner One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975).
- On April 4, 2003, he underwent a face augmentation at the St Regis Hotel in Century City, Los Angeles.
- Five days after completing Black Rain (1989), he started filming The War of the Roses (1989).
- Was roommates with Danny DeVito in a $150-a-month New York City apartment when Michael first began his career in the late 1960s.
- Attended and graduated from Eaglebrook School in Deerfield, Massachusetts.
- Douglas avoids doing historical movies because, “I’m a contemporary guy.”.
- Has worked with three actors who share roles with his father. Kirk Douglas played Doc Holliday in Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957). Val Kilmer played the role in Tombstone (1993) and then appeared with Michael in The Ghost and the Darkness (1996). Dennis Quaid also played Holliday in Wyatt Earp (1994) and appeared with Michael in Traffic (2000). Kirk played Ulysses (Odysseus) in Ulysses (1954), based on The Odyssey. Michael appeared in Don’t Say a Word (2001) with Sean Bean, who played Odysseus in Troy (2004).
- Has taken part in fundraisers for Montreal’s General Jewish Hospital.
- Friends with New York Jets owner Woody Johnson.
- Ranked #74 in Empire (UK) magazine’s “The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time” list. [October 1997]
- Has been active in handgun control since John Lennon’s murder on December 8, 1980.
Personal Quotes by Michael Douglas
Cancer didn’t bring me to my knees, it brought me to my feet.- Michael Douglas
The thing with cancer is that you want to get it as early as you can.- Michael Douglas
The one thing that men and women have in common – they both like the company of men.- Michael Douglas
I had a great stepfather.- Michael Douglas
I don’t smile a lot in my pictures. I’m always so… grim.- Michael Douglas