Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Salma Hayek. Check it out!
One of Hollywood’s most dazzling leading actresses, Salma Hayek was born on September 2, 1966, in the oil boomtown of Coatzacoalcos, Mexico. Hayek has freely admitted that she and her brother, Sami, were spoiled rotten by her well-to-do businessman father, Sami Hayek Dominguez, and her opera-singing mother, Diana Jiménez Medina. Her father is of Lebanese descent and her mother is of Mexican/Spanish ancestry. After having seen Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) in a local movie theatre, Salma decided she wanted to become an actress. At 12, she was sent to the Academy of the Sacred Heart in New Orleans, Louisiana, where she pulled pranks on the nuns by setting their clocks back three hours. She was soon expelled. Only after attending Mexico City’s Universidad Iberoamericana did she feel ready to pursue acting seriously.
Interesting Facts about Salma Hayek
- Has 3 stepchildren: stepson, François Pinault (b. 1998), stepdaughter, Mathilde Pinault (b. 2001) & stepson, Augustin James Evangelista (b. October 11, 2006) with husband, François-Henri Pinault.
- She was sent to a boarding school in Louisiana at age 12, but was soon sent back home after getting in trouble for frequently terrorizing the nuns!
- Was considered for the part of Alicia Larde in A Beautiful Mind (2001). In real life, Alicia was from El Salvador. The character in the film was later changed to American-born, and given to Jennifer Connelly.
- Donated $25,000 to a shelter in Coatzacoalcos, Mexico for battered women. [February 2006]
- Returned to work 5 months after giving birth to her daughter Valentina in order to begin filming Cirque du Freak: The Vampire’s Assistant (2009).
- Studied international relations & drama at college in Mexico City.
- Named #34 on Maxim magazine’s Hot 100 in 2005, then #90 in 2007. She was also ranked #12 in FHM magazine’s “100 Sexiest Women in the World” in the 2005 special supplement , and then #36 the following year.
- Alumna of Stella Adler Studio of Acting.
- Announced engagement on March 9, 2007 to François-Henri Pinault, chairman and chief executive officer of the luxury goods company PPR SA.
- She and Francois Henri Pinault renewed their vows at Venice’s Teatro La Fenice opera house in late April 2009 with 150 guests present. Among them were Penélope Cruz, Javier Bardem, Charlize Theron, Stuart Townsend’, Woody Harrelson, Hayek’s ex-boyfriend Edward Norton, French president Jacques Chirac, Lucy Liu, Ashley Judd, Antonio Banderas, Anna Wintour, Gael García Bernal, Diego Luna, Bono and Stella McCartney.
- Has her own production company, Ventanarosa.
- Was named one of the ten most stylish women in the world by Mr. Blackwell (aka Richard Selzer) in 1997. InStyle named her the most stylish celebrity of 2003 and Eonline.com ranked her as the best dressed female celebrity.
Personal Quotes by Salma Hayek
I don’t see women and think of them as competition or with judgment. Women really move me. I feel connected to all kinds of women. I am angry because I think we’ve been mistreated throughout history in different countries, including America. I admire women.- Salma Hayek
When it is important for you to say something and you find a vehicle to say it, then go for it. It is so rare when that happens so I think every minute spent fighting for it is always worth it. Even if nothing ends up happening, it’s still worth the fight.- Salma Hayek
Life is tough; and if you have the ability to laugh at it, you have the ability to enjoy it.- Salma Hayek
You can have a spiritual awakening and discover a new side of you at any age. And best of all, love can happen at any age. Life can just start to get exciting when you’re in your 40s and 50s. You have to believe that.- Salma Hayek
People always underestimate me. But if you stick around long enough, act out of conviction, and try to be honorable in everything you do, good things will come to you.- Salma Hayek