Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Sarah Hyland. Check it out!
Sarah Hyland was born in New York City to actors Melissa D. Canaday and Edward James Hyland. She began in the business at the age of 4 with commercial work and voice overs. Her first film was Private Parts (1997). She then moved on to The Object of My Affection (1998) and then spent time on Another World (1964) as “Rain Wolfe”, a child found in the park, and fostered by Josie and Gary. Sarah would go on to work with Amy Carlson (“Josie” on AW) several more times: Falcone (2000), Law & Order (1990) and Law & Order: Trial by Jury (2005). Sarah was cast as one of the young “Audrey Hepburns” in Jennifer Love Hewitt’s The Audrey Hepburn Story (2000) the same year she was cast as “Molly” in ABC’s The Wonderful World of Disney: Annie (1999) starring Kathy Bates, Audra McDonald, Alan Cumming, Victor Garber and Kristin Chenoweth, Joe Gould’s Secret (2000) and Falcone (2000). Aside from all of her film and television work, Sarah studied voice, ballet, jazz, hip-hop, tap, Theatre Dance, and performed with her tap and Theatre dance class at “Reel to Real” at Lincoln Center as invited performers.
Interesting Facts about Sarah Hyland
- Sarah is of English, German, Scottish, Irish, Dutch and Welsh descent.
- (December 1, 2018) Hyland’s cousin, Trevor Canadey, 14, was killed in a car accident in Omaha, Nebraska, caused by a drunk driver who crashed into the Canaday’s car who were heading for a choir show. Trevor died on the spot, his father sustained serious injuries and underwent several surgeries, while his mother Becky and sisters Tessa and Zoee didn’t got serious injuries.
- Sarah attended acting school with Gossip Girl (2007)’s Taylor Momsen and Connor Paolo.
- (March 23, 2019) She had a viral respiratory infection after dealing with pink eye, which she got from using virtual reality goggles, and her chronic endometritis was acting up.
- During a NY TV interview, she confided she is a little worried she may not make it to college. She said she had promised her high school theater friends she was only delaying it temporarily, but following her successful Broadway debut, her television and film careers took off, and now she doesn’t dare stop working or she might break her string of good luck.
- Extremely close to her Modern Family (2009) co-stars, especially Julie Bowen, Ariel Winter, and Adam Devine.
- One of only a handful of actors to have made guest appearances on 3 or more of the Law & Order franchise series.
- Hyland was diagnosed with kidney dysplasia at the age 9 – which means her kidneys did not develop properly when she was in the womb and frequently form painful cysts. She required a kidney transplant in April 2012. Her father donated his kidney, but in October 2016, her body started to reject it. She did different tests and all of possible treatments to try and save the kidney but none of the treatments worked. Hyland started regularly undergoing dialysis which led her to severely drop weight. Doctors removed the transplanted kidney in May 2017, and her younger brother Ian offered his kidney, which was thankfully a match. But Hyland felt depressed about her health issues and contemplated suicide. In September 2017, she underwent the second kidney transplant. But her health problems didn’t end there – Hyland also has endometriosis, and the pain was becoming unbearable. Plus, she had a previously undiagnosed abdominal hernia. That led to more surgeries – she’s had six in 16 months, and 16 total over the course of her life – a laparoscopic surgery for the endometrosis and a hernia repair surgery.
- Was in a relationship with Matt Prokop from 2009 until 2014.
- Was in a relationship with English actor Dominic Sherwood from 2015 to 2017.
- Took out a temporary restraining order against ex-boyfriend Matt Prokop in September 19, 2014.
- Is in a relationship with Wells Adams since fall 2017. He is a Radio DJ, former contestant of the American reality television “The Bachelorette”.
Personal Quotes by Sarah Hyland
I just filmed a movie with my boyfriend, an indie film called ‘Conception.’ And it’s kind of like an R-rated version of ‘Valentine’s Day.’ So it’s like all about eight couples, and me and my boyfriend play one of them together. And that was a lot of fun.- Sarah Hyland
I grew up in the East Village with a lot of old people in my building, and I’m not sure if they lost their sense of smell over the years, but they always seemed to smell like they poured a bottle of perfume on themselves. I never want to become that person.- Sarah Hyland
My eyes are so big that, weirdly, I feel like an alien if my eyelashes don’t match their intensity. I like to curl my lashes to the point where they’re sticking straight up and then put on a ton of mascara!- Sarah Hyland
Twitter is awesome to share news with fans, but I would never choose to only have social media and put everything in my life on display.- Sarah Hyland
You know that family is going to be there for you no matter what. My dad gave me a freakin’ kidney!- Sarah Hyland