Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Sofia Boutella. Check it out!
Sofia Boutella is an Algerian actress, dancer and model. She was born in the Bab El Oued district of Algiers in Algeria, the daughter of composer and jazz musician Safy Boutella, and an architect mother. She started classical dance education when she was five years old. In 1992, at age 10, she left Algeria with her family and moved to France, where she started rhythmic gymnastics, joining the French national team at age 18. Sofia started hip hop and street dance, and was part of a group called the Vagabond Crew. She also participated in a group called Chienne de Vie and Aphrodites. She has been rehearsing since age 17 with choreographer Blanca Li, and danced in several film and television appearances, as well as commercials and concert tours.
Interesting Facts about Sofia Boutella
- Born on the same date as Cobie Smulders.
- Her influences include Fred Astaire, Jean Michel Basquiat, Daniel Day-Lewis and Bob Fosse.
- She took up hip-hop and street dance, and was part of a group called the Vagabond Crew, which won the Battle of the Year (2006). She also participated in a group called Chienne de Vie and Aphrodites created by Mono from the Vagabound Crew.
- Has a tattoo of an inverted cross on her arm, which was made by Jared Leto.
- She began classical dance education at age five, began rhythmic gymnastics at age ten and joined the French national team at age 18.
- Currently resides in Los Angeles, California.
- Michael Jackson was so impressed with her dancing that while she was touring with Madonna, he offered her a spot on his “This Is It” tour. Although the tour never happened due to Jackson’s death in 2009, She did appear as the lead in the music video for his posthumously released song “Hollywood Tonight” (2011).
- Her mother is an architect and her father, Safy Boutella, is a jazz musician. In 1992,the family moved from Algeria to France.
Personal Quotes by Sofia Boutella
When I give my jewelry as a present, I feel like I’m giving protection to someone I care about… I’ve given pieces to my mom, my aunts, my friends. I’ve even made bracelets for my dad and my uncle.- Sofia Boutella
I won’t complain, but I don’t want to just be doing action films and extended character transformations, you know? I want to explore, and I’m up for anything. Honestly, I just want to read a good script and fall in love.- Sofia Boutella
Acting has always been a strong force in my life, but it was hard to change direction. I didn’t make a paycheck for two years.- Sofia Boutella
I wanted a choker, and couldn’t find one I liked, so I thought, ‘I’ll just make it.’- Sofia Boutella
I don’t necessarily want to be defined as an action star. I love movies, and my movie culture, luckily because of my parents and my family, is quite obscure and independent.- Sofia Boutella