Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Zendaya. Check it out!
Zendaya (which means “to give thanks” in the language of Shona) is an American actress and singer born in Oakland, California. She began her career appearing as a child model working for Macy’s, Mervyns and Old Navy. She was a backup dancer before gaining prominence for her role as Rocky Blue on the Disney Channel sitcom Shake It Up (2010) which also includes Bella Thorne, Kenton Duty and Roshon Fegan. Zendaya was a contestant on the sixteenth season of the competition series Dancing with the Stars. She went on to produce and star as K.C. Cooper in the Disney Channel sitcom K.C. Undercover (2015) She made her film breakthrough in 2017, starring as Michelle “MJ” Jones in the Marvel Cinematic Universe superhero film Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) and as Anne Wheeler in the musical drama film The Greatest Showman (2017) alongside actors such as Tom Holland, Hugh Jackman and Zac Efron. Besides acting, singing and dancing she is an ambassador for Convoy of Hope. She has written a book, launched her own clothing line (Daya by Zendaya) and proved herself to be a great role model for young girls all around the world.
Interesting Facts about Zendaya
- A Barbie doll was made of the look she wore to the Oscars, but it was not made for public sale as it was originally reported to be.
- Is one of the back-up dancers in the Sears Arrive music video, featuring Selena Gomez.
- She danced with Future Shock Oakland for three years.
- Passed on the role of Storm in X-Men: Apocalypse (2016), feeling the role wasn’t a big enough. The role then went to other contender Alexandra Shipp, who also replaced Zendaya as the role of Aaliyah in Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B (2014).
- If she didn’t become an actress she would’ve been a teacher like her parents or a basketball player.
- Best friends with Hunter Schafer.
- Favorite TV Show: Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (1999).
- Was not told what film she was auditioning for when she tested for a role in “Spider-Man: Homecoming” until after she got accepted, so during the audition she presumed it was just some random high school comedy thing.
- Originally attached to star as Aaliyah in the Lifetime TV movie Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B (2014) but ended up dropping out of the project, according to her, due to the lack of production value, complications with the music rights, and it not being handled delicately considering the situation (Aaliyah’s family disapproval of the making of the film). Negatively received, she also faced massive backlash from the fans on social media to her casting.
- Gets her height from her parents. Her father is 6’2 and her mother is even taller at 6’4.
- Favorite singer is Michael Jackson.
- She had a Giant Schnauzer named Midnight, who passed away in October 2015. She now has a Miniature Schnauzer named Noon.
Personal Quotes by Zendaya
There’s no such thing as trends. There’s no such thing as style, even. It’s just whatever you feel.– Zendaya
I realized that if I don’t like something, I can change it. If I don’t feel comfortable with something, then I have a voice to say it’s not cool.– Zendaya
Doing and making positive programming for young people is so important to me, and I will keep doing it.– Zendaya
Let’s practice motivation and love, not discrimination and hate.– Zendaya
Age doesn’t mean anything. Age doesn’t mean I can’t work as hard. Age doesn’t mean I can’t do as well as everyone else. It’s just a factor. It’s just there.– Zendaya