Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Taraji P. Henson. Check it out!
Taraji P. Henson was born on September 11, 1970 in Washington, District of Columbia, USA as Taraji Penda Henson. She is an actress and producer, known for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008), Hidden Figures (2016) and Hustle & Flow (2005).
Interesting Facts about Taraji P. Henson
- She was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6212 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California on January 28, 2019.
- Her ex-boyfriend and father of her son, Mark Johnson, was murdered in 2003.
- Her first and middle names are Swahili for “hope” and “love,” respectively.
- Has a son named Marcell Johnson (born May 10, 1994).
- Friends with Mary J. Blige, Anthony Anderson, Common, and Taye Diggs.
- Henson first attended North Carolina Agric & Tech, where she attempted to study electrical engineering. She failed precalculus, so she transferred to Howard University. To pay for Howard, she worked two jobs: in the morning, as a secretary at the Pentagon; at night, as a singing and dancing waitress on a dinner cruise ship. She graduated from Howard University in 1995.
- Daughter of Boris (January 12, 1948-February 19, 2006) and Bernice (née Gordon) Henson.
- Founder of the Boris Lawrence Henson Foundation.
- Taraji Henson starred in the film Streetwise (1998) which was her acting debut in a featured film.
- Taraji’s great-great-grandfather, Joseph Henson, was a half-brother of North Pole explorer Matthew Henson. Matthew was a prominent African-American explorer.
- Officially announced engagement to former American football cornerback Kelvin Hayden on May 13, 2018 (Mother’s Day).
- Claimed in an interview with Uptown magazine that her son Marcel Johnson was racially profiled when his car was stopped by police in Glendale and that police searched his car illegally. However, the dashcam video of the incident revealed that Johnson drove through a lighted crosswalk as a person walked across and that he was in possession of marijuana and other drug paraphernalia, which a police officer found after smelling marijuana smoke in the car and Johnson consented and allowed the officer to search his car. After the video surfaced, she apologized via Instagram for her statements. She was apparently misinformed about the incident by her son. [March 2015]
Personal Quotes by Taraji P. Henson
I would love to do a biopic of a famous singer, like Diana Ross or Donna Summer, or an old jazz story that we haven’t seen before. I would love to do that! I would love to play Diana Ross ’cause she’s an icon. I’m salivating to do that.- Taraji P. Henson
I don’t ever want to feel complacent.- Taraji P. Henson
The best thing about being in New York is the people, and you get to walk everywhere.- Taraji P. Henson
Most men are fragile.- Taraji P. Henson
At the end of the day, I stand by who I am. I’m a good person.- Taraji P. Henson