Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Andrew Garfield. Check it out!
Andrew Russell Garfield was born in Los Angeles, California, to a British mother, Lynn (Hillman), and father, Richard Garfield. When he was three, he moved to Surrey, U.K., with his parents and older brother. He is of English and Polish Jewish heritage. Andrew was raised in a middle class family, and attended a private school, the City of London Freemen’s School. He began acting in youth theatre productions while he was still at school. At age 19, he went to the Central School of Speech and Drama.
Interesting Facts about Andrew Garfield
- Was in a relationship with Emma Stone from 2011 to October 2015. They met while filming The Amazing Spider-Man (2012).
- Won the Milton Shulman Award for Outstanding Newcomer at the 2006 Evening Standard Theatre Awards.
- He holds both British and American citizenship. Because of this, he tends to be the only British actor in American films he is in, and the only American actor in British films he is in.
- Has been considered the role of the Doctor on the BBC show Doctor Who. He previously appeared in two episodes of the show.
- Starred in two films in 2016 with religious overtones and mostly set in Japan, Hacksaw Ridge and Silence. In the former, he played real life war medic Desmond Doss, who saved 75 men without firing a weapon.
- Shared the 2007 London Theatre Critics Circle Most Promising Newcomer Award with Connie Fisher.
- Was offered a role in ‘Rules Don’t Apply’ but turned it down.
- 2008: Named as one of European films’ Shooting Stars by the European Film Promotion Board.
- As of 2019, remains as the only Spider-Man/Peter Parker performer who is an Oscar-nominated actor and the only whose name doesn’t begin with a T (Tobey Maguire and Tom Holland come before and after him).
- His father is a swimming coach and his mother is a nursery school assistant.
- Won the 2018 Best Actor in a Play Tony Award for his performance in “Angels in America”.
- Andrew’s paternal grandfather, Samuel Garfinkel, was born in London, to Sarah and Harry Garfinkel, who were Polish Jewish immigrants; Samuel later changed the surname to “Garfield”. Andrew’s paternal grandmother, Doris May (Savage), also born in London, was of Russian Jewish and Romanian Jewish descent. Andrew’s mother is the daughter of Peter Hillman and Florence A. Luckens, and is of English background. Andrew was raised in a secular household, though he has described himself as Jewish. In terms of his religious beliefs, he has also said, “I would consider myself pantheist, agnostic and occasionally atheist and a little bit Jewish.”.
Personal Quotes by Andrew Garfield
I don’t believe anyone is ugly.Andrew Garfield
As an adolescent, Spider-Man was what got me through tough times in terms of being a skinny kid.Andrew Garfield
I sincerely want to help create beauty in the world and move a culture of separateness back towards community. I really, really do, and I think art is a powerful way of doing that.Andrew Garfield
I’ve realised that at the top of the mountain, there’s another mountain.Andrew Garfield
Spider-Man has always been a symbol of goodness and doing the right thing and looking after your fellow man.Andrew Garfield