Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Jim Carrey. Check it out!
Jim Carrey, Canadian-born and a U.S. citizen since 2004, is an actor and producer famous for his rubbery body movements and flexible facial expressions. The two-time Golden Globe-winner rose to fame as a cast member of the Fox sketch comedy In Living Color (1990) but leading roles in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994), Dumb and Dumber (1994) and The Mask (1994) established him as a bankable comedy actor.
Interesting Facts about Jim Carrey
- At one point his family lived out of their car/trailer.
- Pictured on one of a set of five nondenominated Canadian commemorative postage stamps honoring Great Canadian Comedians, issued 29 August 2014. In addition to the main portrait, he is shown in his roles as Ace Ventura, Stanley Ipkiss in The Mask (1994), and Lloyd Christmas in Dumb and Dumber (1994). Others honored in this set are Mike Myers, Catherine O’Hara, Martin Short, and Oliver Guimond. Price of each stamp on day of issue was 85¢.
- Possibly out of slapstick to his nationality, his “Dick Harper” character of Fun with Dick and Jane (2005) has been compared by fans to Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
- He appeared at the 20th anniversary special for The Comedy Store wearing nothing but a sock on his penis.
- Played a (fictional) man who is not (yet) aware he is on television on The Truman Show (1998) and a real-life man who believed he was always on television Man on the Moon (1999).
- Performed his first stand-up routine (with disastrous results) in a yellow suit and tails (made by his mother) similar to what he would later wear in The Mask (1994).
- Spoofed the Players’ Club TV commercials, made famous by Telly Savalas in the 1980s, on In Living Color (1990).
- In 2014 he received an honorary degree at Maharishi University of Management in Fairfield, Iowa.
- The characters played by him in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994), The Mask (1994) and Dumb and Dumber (1994) later all became TV cartoons, whereas his “Grinch”, “Horton” and “Riddler” characters were already cartoons.
- Believes the MMR vaccine causes autism. In 2009, Carrey wrote an article questioning the merits of vaccination and vaccine research for The Huffington Post.
- As of 2017, Jim Carrey is the only actor (male or female) to date to win a Golden Globe for Best Actor in both the drama and comedy/musical categories without being nominated for an Academy Award.
- He has said that Joel, his painfully shy, lovelorn character in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004), is closer to what he’s like when he’s not “on,” and that making the film led him to reflect on his past relationships and why they didn’t work out.
Personal Quotes by Jim Carrey
I just want to be myself.- Jim Carrey
A lot of good love can happen in ten years.- Jim Carrey
If you’ve got a talent, protect it.- Jim Carrey
I love playing ego and insecurity combined.- Jim Carrey
I don’t think human beings learn anything without desperation. Desperation is a necessary ingredient to learning anything or creating anything. Period. If you ain’t desperate at some point, you ain’t interesting.- Jim Carrey